Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #11 
JessSH

Thanks for all the responses guys! Especially Tiki! It makes me feel really hopeful because it sounds like he & Sluggles are a lot alike! I have named him Artemis, Artie for short. It's for the Greek goddess, not Matrix. He's doing ok, a small improvement today. When I feed him, I drop a few bloodworms in because it takes awhile for him to see them & go after them. I don't know if he has vision problems or just trying to get up the energy. I only let him have 1/2 a worm twice a day right now because otherwise he'll bloat so I remove the rest. But today, he was not pleased I was removing them. As I started to remove them he darted about an inch forward & sucked down the other 1/2 of the worm before I could take it out! Luckily he didn't bloat so I may move him up to 1 worm at night. I'm in the middle of a water change right now (I have to take a break because I'm still pretty weak myself) & when I 1st put the turkey baster in to start removing water he quickly (for him) swam/drag over to the coffee mug I put in there & hid under the part of the handle that touched the bottom of the tank. While I don't like causing him stress, I was pleased he made the effort to protect himself because he was didn't care during water changes previously.

@Sainthogan- I don't think he's constipated anymore. For some reason, the other 6 of my PetCo rescues always pass a large nugget their 1st poop with me, then they're fine. Maybe a build up of stuff because they're being starved so they pass a bunch when they're finally fed?
@Tiki- Thanks for your suggestions on water changes. I had a major brain fart & forgot about the turkey baster & the necessity of more frequent water changes since the water level is so low!!! I feel really guilty for forgetting something so obvious.

I wasn't able to do a water change this morning, so it's been almost exactly 24 hrs since the last change. I tested for ammonia in the tank & it was at .5! I removed 1/2 with the turkey baster & added some water treated with Prime only & now it's down to .25. I'm giving us both a short break, but will continue to remove 1/2 the water til it's at 0 & then do 50% changes twice a day which should help a ton. I'll let you guys know how he's doing tomorrow. It's going to be an uphill battle for this little guy is a fighter!
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:42 AM   #12 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
WON ,TAERG
Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
no you should never do that little leaf. the shock will be too great. a drip acclimitization method will be the best

Then why did members tell me to do that??
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:44 AM   #13 
JessSH

BTW, I went into PetCo on Wednesday to grab ammonia refills for my master test kit (which was why I originally went in on Tuesday but got distracted by this guy) & all 6 of the other fish that were sick, but not as bad as him were either dead or so close to death that I could do nothing for them. It makes me extra grateful I found my little guy when I did. And yes, I talked to the manager on duty (whom I actually like, my dog adores him. When we go in he always gives my dog a free ball. For a lab/setter mix that's heaven), but I doubt they'll do anything, even though he seemed genuinely concerned.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:49 AM   #14 
JessSH

Little Leaf, different members have different thoughts on it or they may not have had a lot of experience. I completely agree with Aokashi though, it can shock their system & cause death. I thought hard about it on the drive home & the sole reason I did it is because I felt he was so close to death because of the water it was worth the risk because it may save his life. Artie & I were lucky, it did help him. Anything short of this type of situation though, I wouldn't try it.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:34 AM   #15 
ao
TFK Moderator

its the same idea as warming up a freezing person slowly. if you throw them in a warm room right away, it will feel to them that you threw them in fire >.>
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:56 AM   #16 
Syriiven

I really dont have much to add, as being rather new still to betta-care, but I'm so happy to hear he's improving a little! From what I've seen of my previous betta, current one, and most I've read about, liveliness is a great sign =) Or attitude, take your pick.

I also love the name, he'll be so pretty if he gets through this, which I think he would.

So much luck to you and little Artemis!
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #17 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessSH View Post
Little Leaf, different members have different thoughts on it or they may not have had a lot of experience. I completely agree with Aokashi though, it can shock their system & cause death. I thought hard about it on the drive home & the sole reason I did it is because I felt he was so close to death because of the water it was worth the risk because it may save his life. Artie & I were lucky, it did help him. Anything short of this type of situation though, I wouldn't try it.
DARN IT.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #18 
Little Leaf

i hate myself.