Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #1 
asukabetta

Lower ph?

My city is famous for it's high quality tap water. It's drinkable and it is even a rival to bottled water, for which not many people buy bottled water here in the first place.

However there are rumors from the forums here in my country that they increased the quantity of lime they use to treat the water to make it potable, I am going to have my water tested tomorrow at the store to make sure it's true or not.

Usually the PH is between 7-7,3 however the rumors say that it could increase to even 8,5.

Knowing this ph is quite harmful for bettas, what are safe ways (preferably without the use of chemicals) that can reduce it back to the neutral ph. Or down to safe lvls.

I know I'm a worry wart, but I want to be safe rather than sorry. (So far my betta's haven't shown any signs of being intolerant to the water.)
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #2 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukabetta View Post

Usually the PH is between 7-7,3 however the rumors say that it could increase to even 8,5.

Knowing this ph is quite harmful for bettas,
Why do you think it is harmful? They adjust. Don't worry
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Betta do adjust better than many fish to a wide range of pH values. But it is work and requires energy that can be used for activity and immune response.

Peat and IAL (Indian Almond Leaf) are two natural methods that I know of. Maybe some of the wild-type aficionados would have other suggestions.

@User
Another beautiful female from your sorority. You have an unusually fine collection as shown in your album. But where are the girls?

Last edited by Hallyx; 11-18-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #4 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Betta do adjust better than many fish to a wide range of pH values. But it is work and requires energy that can be used for activity and immune response.

Peat and IAL (Indian Almond Leaf) are two natural methods that I know of. Maybe some of the wild-type aficionados would have other suggestions.

@User
Another beautiful female from your sorority. You have an unusually fine collection as shown in your album. But where are the girls?
Thanks Hal, I am re-doing my album since many of my girls have died and are now replaced. I'll be working on it today

Askuka, I read recently that ph can be lowered by carefully mixing RO water with conditioned tap water every time you do a water change. I just don't know how and where you get RO water!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #5 
babystarz

I was reading up on betta simplex today and stumbled across some information in my Betta Handbook that might be helpful to you. Apparently karsts (limestone formations) are pretty common in natural betta habitats, so they are generally able to adapt to higher lime levels, and I think splendens will adapt alright to the elevated pH that goes along with this.

The book also has a long section about how the author creates his own low pH RO water by aerating & aging it with peat moss and IAL, if you're interested in reading it I can type it out for you. It's kind of an involved process (he does huge batches), but you could certainly tailor it to your needs.

The pH of my water out of the tap is around 8.3 usually, but it naturally settles to below 7.5 on its own without me doing anything within a few hours. So definitely test your water right out of the tap and compare it to water that is a few hours or a day old; it might not require intervention on your part at all.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #6 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
I was reading up on betta simplex today and stumbled across some information in my Betta Handbook that might be helpful to you. Apparently karsts (limestone formations) are pretty common in natural betta habitats, so they are generally able to adapt to higher lime levels, and I think splendens will adapt alright to the elevated pH that goes along with this.

The book also has a long section about how the author creates his own low pH RO water by aerating & aging it with peat moss and IAL, if you're interested in reading it I can type it out for you. It's kind of an involved process (he does huge batches), but you could certainly tailor it to your needs.

The pH of my water out of the tap is around 8.3 usually, but it naturally settles to below 7.5 on its own without me doing anything within a few hours. So definitely test your water right out of the tap and compare it to water that is a few hours or a day old; it might not require intervention on your part at all.
thanks I'll take the water and test it out :D
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

A lot of "distilled" water these days is processed using RO (Reverse Osmosis)---or so I've been told. Don't know which ones. Keepers have been using distilled water to cut down pH for years. Of course, this lowers the KH (buffering) and makes the pH less stable.

It also reduces the minerals which the stock and the plants need. Remineralization is one of the important reasons for doing regular partial water changes.

It's a good idea to check sourcewater regularly in case things have changed. Even Byron has lost fish to unforseen changes in parameters.

Last edited by Hallyx; 11-18-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote