Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Partially Blind betta?

hello all, so, I have Banana who is my rescue whom I've had for a bit over a week now. I noticed something about his eyes, but I thought it was just me, and then my friend also noticed it. His eyes (the pupil) are VERY reflective. It's as if you're looking at a sequin (look up on google images of what it is).

None of my boys are like that, they're all a solid black, but Banana's are slightly golden with the reflection thing going on.

Now, I wouldn't be worried, but at the same time, he seems to have a difficult time finding his food sometimes. The food will literally be right in front of him and he'll swim elsewhere and attack the water as if there was food. I have gotten to the point where I need to drop it right on top of him. However, he does see because he can completely navigate around the tank no problem and can see food on the floor. But sometimes he behaves as if he can't.

So is it possible he's partially blind...?
Any one else with betta eyes like that?
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #2 
babystarz

Yes, this is a sadly common issue for bettas with iridescence layers. The iridescence can grow over their eyes, blocking their vision partially or completely. From what I've read, blind bettas can do very well and as long as you're not messing with the tank decor too much they don't have too many problems. Even totally blind bettas can find food by sense of smell, and in fact they might have keener senses to make up for the lack of sight :)
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #3 
Myates

Possibly.. it may be cataracts or he had it damaged prior to you getting him. If born naturally blind you tend to see red eyes. If he is lunging and attempting to get food then he can at least see it in some way luckily.
Try dropping the food on his good side to see if that helps.

My blind boy is completely blind in both eyes.. try feeding one of those! lol.. but my guess is it's either a birth defect or it was damaged before you got him.. maybe was attacked by a sibling, untreated popeye, etc. Poor guy, I've seen pictures of him in the FB groups and he's a cutie!

My blind boy.. sorry for bad picture, took last night in a dark room, was aiming for his tail as was showing how it changed color in a day.. but you can kind of see his red eyes.
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #4 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
Equinox was missing an eye when I got him, but he enjoys life the way it is!!1 (unlike me?)
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #5 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
My blind boy.. sorry for bad picture, took last night in a dark room, was aiming for his tail as was showing how it changed color in a day.. but you can kind of see his red eyes.
I've been seeing a lot of mostly white males who were born blind lately. I'm wondering if it has to do with albinism? Albino animals (and humans) tend to have eye sight problems, including total blindness.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #6 
Myates

I considered that, but it's also very rare to see an albino. He has a metallic/pink/white sheen to him or I would of thought he was.. and now yesterday he developed a grey tail, so I know now for sure he isn't albino.
But there may be some form of it in the ones you are seeing, and in this guy..

He was at Petco for over a month, so when I went there last week for some large tanks I couldn't leave him there any longer and picked him up. He's in a .75g kritter keeper in my warming tub that I'm keeping my breeders in.. yesterday was his first water change and afterwards his tail started changing from white to that grey you see. Silly fish.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #7 
Alcemistnv

thanks everyone for replying, and thank you My, your boy is pretty too :)

I believe that since I mainly see the shimmer in one eye that he's half blind, which could explain a lot about the way he swims around.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #8 
Rockandrollgirl09

So I have a question for you all as well. I have a 2 and a half year old male betta named Kaido. He is really smart and everything. Accept lately he has been having a hard time finding his food. I will place his food in his tank and normally he would just attack it but now lately I physically have to lead him to his food with my finger. Otherwise he wont see it. Could he be going blind? I have checked his eyes and everything I see no evidence of any glossyness or pop eye. Does that sound like he is going blind.
Rockandrollgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #9 
Myates

Possibly, he's middle aged. Sometimes they see their food, sometimes they don't. Some of it may depend on the angle they are at and the light.. small brown pieces of food may be hard to see at times. I tend to have to use my finger to guide mine from time to time to the food. A lot of times I will dip my pinky in a spot and when they come up I drop the food in at the same location.