Betta Fish Forum banner

Lucy and her Permenant Damage

623 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  registereduser 
#1 ·
I rescued Lucy from Petsmart on 10/17/2012. I had seen her there for a while and she was just the cutest thing ever!! I already had 3 bettas and told myself no more (ha like that works). When I brought her home I tested her water out of curiosity and her ammonia read 8ppm. I was horrified that her water had not been changed in who knows how long! She has been in her hospital tank trying to recover but it seems that her gill, which was slightly open and pushed out, will not go down. She is a happy little fish. She loves frozen brine shrimp and she will crunch down her NLS pellets no matter how big! LOL. She swims like crazy and can even jump out of her water for food! I've grown so attached to her and she will be entering her planted tank this sunday! Her tail has opened up and grown out (it was missing chuncks here and there). It even got some blue in it which shocked me. It saddens me that her gill will never go down and this is just the way it has to be. It may have been a genetic disorder but I feel it was her ammonia filled cup. Because of her open gill I have to watch her water parameters very closely to make sure the ammonia stays low and/or clear. But so far, she is just a normal little betta wanting to eat anything and everything lol.

See less See more
#2 ·
Aaaaw, such a sweet face! My CT Buddy has a damaged gill flap..it stays open. I also got him that way from Walmart. He was my first betta fish ever..he is doing well, and is a happy boy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.