Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #1 
Lissa3116

Question Where do you buy your Betta(s) from?

I just read on a post that most Betta's from petstores like Wal-mart, PetCo, etc. Usually die within a month of purchase. I don't want my BB to die. Where have you bought your fishy's and is that statistic true?
Lissa3116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #2 
FishyFishy89

Whomever you read that from, they were poorly educated.
If you "play your cards right" your pet store betta can live pretty long. I've had pet store bettas live up to 5 years. And some users have had pet store bettas live even longer.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #3 
pittipuppylove

My three boys all came from Petco and my female came from Walmart. I've had my first betta since August and he's currently having an issue of some sort, but I don't think it's from getting him from Petco. The other three are all healthy as horses. I think that statistic may have something to do with choosing a healthy fish to begin with (3/4 of mine tried to maul me when I picked up their cups) and that many betta owners don't know how to properly care for their fish. The betta I recently started caring for at my work is also from Petco and is a couple years old, even though his care was pretty substandard up until a couple weeks ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by pittipuppylove; 11-16-2012 at 04:15 PM.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

I bought my male from Petsmart and my female from Petco. The care there is always horrible, but that doesn't mean that will stay with them forever. They don't die quickly, they're pretty hardy. It's when you push them off too much, and then they're gone.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #5 
Friendlyfishies

I got mine from petco and they've been perfectly fine, pretty, active, personable fishes :)
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #6 
Lissa3116

Thanks for the reassurance. I got mine from petland and they are all housed in bowls in a warm aquarium area and they have plants and rocks in their bowls and all look healthy. I went to petsmart and they are house in tiny cups and most weremt moving and very pale in color. It was so sad to see:( but I am sure some tlc can bring them back to life
Lissa3116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #7 
sainthogan

Fishy came from Petsmart, I got her in August.
Fizz came from a person on this thread. He was shipped to me in the mail. I've had him for 1 day.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #8 
Agility4fun

I have bought mine from LFS and called to see when their shipments come in and when quarantine is done to see them before they sit in the little cups for too long. In fact I toiled today deciding between a short finned green/blue and an amazing white/with yellow edging and a black stripe. I ended up choosing the short fin :)
Posted via Mobile Device
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #9 
sainthogan

oops, meant to say that I got him from someone on this forum, not from this thread.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

I think that is a statistic at all only because someone who buys a betta from a chain store is more likely to not know how to take care of it than someone who would but one from elsewhere. I think a "mutt" can easily be healthier than a show quality betta because there is more diversity in it's gene pool...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote