Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2012, 04:00 AM   #11 
JessSH

Snails....ew, ew & ew! Not a fan!!! You'll want quarantine them for a week or two to make sure there are no snails &....I think someone said to make sure they're not gonna die? I'm not sure of the reason, but I hate snails so I rinse the heck outta those plants then through them in a buck of water for awhile then put them in a tank. I'd also make sure your LFS doesn't keep snails in their plant tank because some do for some reason. I don't keep snails in my tanks for the plants, which you probably already figured out. lol If I think there is a problem with the plant, I just cut off the problem part & put it right back in. I've been doing that since...June? Never had issues yet. Of course if you want snails, that would be fine. I would wait til after your finished cycling though because because I've heard they can through off your bio-load which you definitely don't want. Plus some can grow pretty big, so I would maybe ask some other members if you're thinking about it. There are some fantastic threads of natural planted tanks & planted tanks in general. I'm just a novice, so my knowledge is limited.
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:09 AM   #12 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessSH View Post
Snails....ew, ew & ew! Not a fan!!! You'll want quarantine them for a week or two to make sure there are no snails &....I think someone said to make sure they're not gonna die? I'm not sure of the reason, but I hate snails so I rinse the heck outta those plants then through them in a buck of water for awhile then put them in a tank. I'd also make sure your LFS doesn't keep snails in their plant tank because some do for some reason. I don't keep snails in my tanks for the plants, which you probably already figured out. lol If I think there is a problem with the plant, I just cut off the problem part & put it right back in. I've been doing that since...June? Never had issues yet. Of course if you want snails, that would be fine. I would wait til after your finished cycling though because because I've heard they can through off your bio-load which you definitely don't want. Plus some can grow pretty big, so I would maybe ask some other members if you're thinking about it. There are some fantastic threads of natural planted tanks & planted tanks in general. I'm just a novice, so my knowledge is limited.
Well I looked up Anacharis and some other easy beginner plants and it seems easy enough so I think I'll definitely get some as soon as I can. I'm really only curious about snails, not sure if I really want to add any. But when I do get the plants I'll make very certain there arent any.

I just hope when I do go, I dont end up adopting another betta. I mean I do, but at the same time I can't afford a whole new tank. Though I do have the old one...I just hate seeing them in those small cups! I really feel for your situation in your thread, my first betta a few years ago was a super lethargic crown-tail with extreme color-loss. It was a few months before he had full color, and he went from pale and red to vibrant blue with red and even some purple. He lived three years. So they definitely have the spirit to live, they just need some serious help from us after being in this miserable shelf-homes at the store.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #13 
Perry the platypus

I think it's tail biting
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:30 AM   #14 
JessSH

Thanks for your comment on my thread! I'm a little frustrated because I have to constantly fight the ammonia levels since I have to keep him in only 2 inches of water (for his safety) right now, plus he has to be excreting ammonia like crazy. Poor guy. So I appreciate the support. I know the feeling about worrying about getting another betta. That's how I got Artie...in fact that's how I got most of my lil guys. I keep some of mine in 10 gal tanks divided in 1/2. The dividers I have are nice & sturdy so I don't have to worry about them killing each other. Plus the ones in divided tanks were put in there because I felt they were less aggressive & could handle it. I don't want to tempt you with ways to get more fish, but sometimes you just see one that breaks your heart & you can't get him out of your head, so there are options if you're in that situation. Oh, and one more thing about tail biters. Bettas love live food & I found supplementing with live food helps them get out some aggression & can help with the biting, even if it's only for a day or 2. I feed my fish 2 live bloodworms as a replacement for evening pellets the day before I fast them. I wouldn't really recommend doing more than once a week & you do need to be careful because some live food can make fish sick or kill them. Lots of people use freeze-dried or frozen for that reason. If you have a LFS that you trust, that may be another option. I've been doing it since April & everyone is happy & healthy. If you want to stick with the bloodworms you're currently using I would switch to something else for a normal food because bloodworms are supposed to be more of a treat. I don't think it's part of the tail biting problem, but I don't think (although I'm not 100% certain) that what you're feeding him has all the nutrients he needs, so potentially that could also be an issue, although it is a long shot. I use Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets & I think those are the best, plus they're nice & cheap too. Hikari Bio-Gold & New Life Spectrum are also good, but New Life is pretty pricey although it's a pretty large jar. Since you live in a rural area these might not be an option right away, but something to think about. Good luck!
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #15 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry the platypus View Post
I think it's tail biting
I do too now. His tail started growing out and whatever the black stuff was cleared up, but I do have him in a 2,5g with AQ Salt right now too. And came home to find another chunk bitten out of his tail -_-;
Old 11-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #16 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessSH View Post
Thanks for your comment on my thread! I'm a little frustrated because I have to constantly fight the ammonia levels since I have to keep him in only 2 inches of water (for his safety) right now, plus he has to be excreting ammonia like crazy. Poor guy. So I appreciate the support. I know the feeling about worrying about getting another betta. That's how I got Artie...in fact that's how I got most of my lil guys. I keep some of mine in 10 gal tanks divided in 1/2. The dividers I have are nice & sturdy so I don't have to worry about them killing each other. Plus the ones in divided tanks were put in there because I felt they were less aggressive & could handle it. I don't want to tempt you with ways to get more fish, but sometimes you just see one that breaks your heart & you can't get him out of your head, so there are options if you're in that situation. Oh, and one more thing about tail biters. Bettas love live food & I found supplementing with live food helps them get out some aggression & can help with the biting, even if it's only for a day or 2. I feed my fish 2 live bloodworms as a replacement for evening pellets the day before I fast them. I wouldn't really recommend doing more than once a week & you do need to be careful because some live food can make fish sick or kill them. Lots of people use freeze-dried or frozen for that reason. If you have a LFS that you trust, that may be another option. I've been doing it since April & everyone is happy & healthy. If you want to stick with the bloodworms you're currently using I would switch to something else for a normal food because bloodworms are supposed to be more of a treat. I don't think it's part of the tail biting problem, but I don't think (although I'm not 100% certain) that what you're feeding him has all the nutrients he needs, so potentially that could also be an issue, although it is a long shot. I use Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets & I think those are the best, plus they're nice & cheap too. Hikari Bio-Gold & New Life Spectrum are also good, but New Life is pretty pricey although it's a pretty large jar. Since you live in a rural area these might not be an option right away, but something to think about. Good luck!
I do have somebetta pellets, but they just look so big and then they get bigger when they're wet, and I'm scared of him choking on them. I remember having smaller pellets for my last betta a few years ago. Can't remember the brand though, but I wrote yours down! When I go to the city next month I'm getting some anacharis, java moss and some moss balls and possibly one snail. Still researching which one wont suddenly multiply on me and will last in a gravel substrate tank. But you've been an amazing help with this. He's in his 2.5g with AQ salt for right now, since I dont have access to Stress Coat and I really dont want him getting more stressed and then sick. He's not striped and is doing alright. I'll just keep him there and contiue with a fishless cycle and wait till the cycles done before trying to add him to the 10g again.

Tags
finrot betta veil