Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #1 
aemaki09

My Newest Addition

So I'm sad to say that on friday I was getting all my girls put in their cups to get them ready for the new sorority tank. I ALWAYS fill their cups and put them in over the sink so I dont have water everywhere, (my net cant fit into some of the tanks either so i have to pour water out to get them out) Anyways, my favorite VT girl fell out of my net and down the drain. I felt like an absolutely horrible betta mom, i tried to do everything i could to rescue her, but nobody was home to get the drain undone, eventually I gave up, went to the store, and grabbed some clove oil to pour down the sink in case she was stuck, i didnt want her to suffer.
Like i said, I feel absolutely horrible about this, I cant believe I let this happen, I'm always very careful and I do this every time i clean bowls which is atleast every other day. So please dont judge me, it was a freak accident.
But anyways, I went to the LFS to pick up a new hood for the sorority tank, and ended of course stopped to look at the betta's, I started looking at the CT females because I know i need one more to complete the sorority and they were on sale, and I found a double tail that was mis labeled as a CT female, I was so excited, i've been trying to find a good looking one for the longest time and finally have one! I originally thought he was a female, but when I got home I noticed there was no ovipositor, and his fins are a lot longer than any of my other females, so basically i got a very young double tail male for $2. I couldnt believe my luck..

Here he is! What do you think of him? and could anyone tell me what coloring he is?
Attached Images

aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #2 
twolovers101

Don't feel so bad, one of my boys did a similar suicide jump on me once, thankfully he got caught in the garbage disposal and I was able to get him out by shoving my hand down in there and he hopped right into my palm. Your new boy is really pretty :)
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #3 
aemaki09

Thank you! And I'm glad Im not the only one! But it sucks because she was my favorite VT and I couldn't do anything to save her, and now all I can do is hope she had a quick death :(
Old 11-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #4 
twolovers101

I can understand how you feel, I have to put one of my boys down soon and I really hope I do it right (bought the clove oil today) If it helps, I'm sure she won't hold it against you (if fish do such things) everyone makes mistakes and accidents happen. It's sad, yes, but her death allowed you the opportunity to "rescue" a very pretty young boy :)
Old 11-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #5 
aemaki09

That is true, I did get the opportunity to get a gorgeous new boy and I learned I need to get a drain catcher and be more careful.

Whats wrong with the one you need to put down?
Old 11-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #6 
Karebear13

wow can't believe he was mis- labelled he is gorgeous

sorry about your loss
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #7 
twolovers101

He has no immune system what so ever. I JUST got rid of a really bad case of fin rot (had to do a treatment of Maracyin I and II both for a week) and it's back again after he's out of QT, this isn't the first time it's happened, he's been in and out of QT situations for 2 months now, and it's been getting really hard on him.

Basically what I'd have to do to keep him healthy is 100% water changes every other day and keep him in as sterile an environment as possible. All the water changes were starting to stress him (and me) out. He's unresponsive to AQ salt and I don't feel like it's fair on any creature to keep it in a sterile environment for it's entire life. His quality of life is diminishing and he's been clamped and losing finnage for the past week, so I think it'd be a better thing to just be merciful rather than stressing the poor fellow out more
Old 11-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #8 
lexylex0526

I am so sorry for your loss, but as they say she is now swimming peacefully under the rainbow bridge :) I am sure she had an amazing life with you!

Her death did bring an amazing new member to your fish family though. Your new little boy is absolutely gorgeous, and what luck you only got him for $2!! I love his colors, he is such a beauty!
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #9 
rosy delta

I have heard of many incidents where the fish jump out and end up down the drain. Sad, but not your fault - and i know it will never happen to you again. (one of those mesh drain covers would help a lot! I have one) A question, what does the clove oil do exactly??
rosy delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #10 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolovers101 View Post
He has no immune system what so ever. I JUST got rid of a really bad case of fin rot (had to do a treatment of Maracyin I and II both for a week) and it's back again after he's out of QT, this isn't the first time it's happened, he's been in and out of QT situations for 2 months now, and it's been getting really hard on him.

Basically what I'd have to do to keep him healthy is 100% water changes every other day and keep him in as sterile an environment as possible. All the water changes were starting to stress him (and me) out. He's unresponsive to AQ salt and I don't feel like it's fair on any creature to keep it in a sterile environment for it's entire life. His quality of life is diminishing and he's been clamped and losing finnage for the past week, so I think it'd be a better thing to just be merciful rather than stressing the poor fellow out more

That's so sad! You are definitely doing the right thing, I would hate to see any creature suffer like that. Hopefully it goes well!!

And thanks to everyone else! I'm very lucky to have went in when I did, their betta's there always seem to go really fast! And I've never seen a DT there so im assuming they just thought he was a deformed HM and put him at that low price.

Does anyone know what his coloring is?