Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #1 
NorseGuy258

Newbie in need of help!

I've been taking care of my bettas for a little over a month now and a couple 4-5 days ago I noticed some fraying on Odin's fin (he is my HMDT and my first fish ever) so I knew it was fin rot off the bat. I immediately went to the local pet store to get medication where I was recommended bettafix. Went home and did one treatment and proceeded to research. (I know now that this was not the proper order of action) I found that Bettafix doesn't actually get rid of the fin rot but just heals the fin damage and that it can be notorious for killing betta fish. I changed 100% of the water and read that tetracycline would kill the bacteria so I picked up that and Stress Coat+. I realized that dirty water wasn't the real problem, seeing as I do weekly water changes. However, I had been removing him thinking it would stress him less, I know better now, and had been using a different tap water conditioner that didn't include a stress coat. So between stressing him out from the removal and the lack of stress coat assistance, I pretty much killed his immune system. So far I've done two treatments with the tetracycline (with appropriate measurement to his tank size) and will do a 25% water change follow by a third treatment as directed. His fins are starting to heal and he's built a nice sized bubble nest so I'm hoping that means his stress levels have dropped, but what I'm really worried about right now is the color appearing on his gills. My girlfriend says it's just his natural colors that have brightened up (she says her betta has them too) but I'm worried and would really like a second opinion. I love my betta and want him to be healthy and happy so if anyone is willing to help me out it would really be appreciated.

Sorry if I'm just being a pain in the arse.
Attached Images

NorseGuy258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #2 
babystarz

Generally speaking, minor fin rot does not require antibiotics, but since you've started a course of treatment it's best to finish it.

I can't be 100% certain, but it doesn't look to me like the gill covers are a problem. Keep a close eye on them for more changes, sores, or white stuff.

Once the treatment is over, if he's looking good just go back to your weekly water changes. If he doesn't seem to be doing well, give him daily 100% water changes (move him to a 1gal quarantine tank if this is difficult in his current tank) with 2 tsp. aquarium salt per gallon for 10 days. It is important to always change over 100% of the water so the salt doesn't build up. This is the conservative treatment for fin rot and it usually does the trick.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #3 
NorseGuy258

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Generally speaking, minor fin rot does not require antibiotics, but since you've started a course of treatment it's best to finish it.

I can't be 100% certain, but it doesn't look to me like the gill covers are a problem. Keep a close eye on them for more changes, sores, or white stuff.

Once the treatment is over, if he's looking good just go back to your weekly water changes. If he doesn't seem to be doing well, give him daily 100% water changes (move him to a 1gal quarantine tank if this is difficult in his current tank) with 2 tsp. aquarium salt per gallon for 10 days. It is important to always change over 100% of the water so the salt doesn't build up. This is the conservative treatment for fin rot and it usually does the trick.
Thanks for the response! I will post an update in a few days.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #4 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseGuy258 View Post
Thanks for the response! I will post an update in a few days.
You're welcome, I hope he feels better soon.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #5 
NorseGuy258

Okay, I finished the treatment and he seemed to be better. He's fins were healing nicely until today. I woke up to chunks missing from his fins and there's no way it's the fin rot. -.- I'm so frustrated, I don't know what to do.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

What size tank & is it filtered? Do you have plastic plants? Does he have tank mates? His fins could be getting caught in the intake of the filter if there is one, they could be getting hung up on a plant or decoration or he could be nipping his own fins.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #7 
NorseGuy258

It's a 3 gallon with the smallest whisper filter and a small silk plant. I had the filter off last night so it's not thay and the plant is too soft. I think he's nipping. I'm headed to the fish store today to get a new decoration or two for his tank. Maybe that will cure boredum and give him a hidey place?