Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #1 
NocturneFox

Question Possible sick betta

I might just be overreacting but my male double half moon betta seems a little sluggish. He was at the bottom of his aquarium and was looking off balance. He swam off a while later though quickly and seemed okay. He also has a pale spot on his top fin but other than those things he seems to swim fine and he's eating regularly. Could he be sick or am I just imagining things? Sorry, I don't have many more details yet I only just noticed this problem today. He seemed a little better yesterday.
NocturneFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

More info is needed; tank size, filtered, heated, water change schedule, how much is changed, water conditioner? Can you post a pic?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #3 
NocturneFox

The tank is an aqueon 2.5 gallon with a filter. It isn't heated but it is in the warmest room. I don't have any water conditioner for it.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

Did you run out of conditioner or did you never use it?
Not only will it remove cholorine but it also removes heavy metals that are in the water. Without it, what's in the untreated water can be deadly to the fish. I learned that lesson the hard way - petco told me i did not need conditioner and my fish all died within 24 hours

How often do you do water changes?

Heaters - unless you live in someplace like Thailand, heaters are also mandatory since they are tropical fish. They can live in colder water but - they won't be happy with it. In warmer water, they are alot more colorful and active. Plus long term exposure to cooler temps compromises their immune system.

If you have to - you can hold off onthe heater for a little bit but water conditioner is a must for right now. There are plenty to choose from. Stress coat and prime are pretty popular and it does not need to be betta specific.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #5 
NocturneFox

I never used conditioner. I know I don't change the water nearly enough, only about every 2 months. I think he most likely has dropsy though. I looked at him again and his scales look raised like the pinecone description near his bottom fin. I think his fins are clamped possibly and he looks like he has swollen eyes. I don't know if I have any epsom salt. Would any other kind of salt work? Is it too late to save him?

Last edited by NocturneFox; 11-22-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #6 
NocturneFox

Well, I think I caught it early enough. I think he'll definitely be okay if I treat him. He's barely starting to pinecone and he seems only a little lethargic. I'm going to change his water and clean his tank thoroughly tomorrow. I'm going to buy conditioner and maracyn or another antibiotic. Does anyone have other suggestions that could help me save my fish?
Old 11-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

It sounds like a big water quality issue. You should be doing a minimum of a weekly water change of at least 50%, preferably 2. The new water needs to be temp matched to the tank & a water conditioner needs to be used. He definitely needs a heater, the water temp will typically be a few degrees cooler than the room temp. His water should be at least 76F & a consistent temp. so you need a thermometer for it as well.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You need to get a Heater.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #9 
sainthogan

Unless your tank is heavily planted (i.e a Walstad planted aquarium that duplicates an ecosystem), you should be doing at least 2 50% or more water changes a week. Fish waste naturally creates ammonia, ammonia is poisonous to fish. Bettas are tropical and prefer temperatures between 76 - 82 degrees. Also, your water contains chlorine which also is harmful to fish -which is why water conditioner is an absolute must.

If you use epsom salts - you will need to add it very slowly over the course of several days and you will need to do daily water changes. Epsom salt treatments also work best if you treat him in a smaller container by floating him in his tank to keep him warm and only treating the water in his small container. This is the information I was given for epsom salt treatments: I would use a small container that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain temp of 76-77F and cover it with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ. He needs to stay in the covered QT floating in the heated tank-in the Epsom salt/tannin water for the duration of the treatment period.

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source-either IAL or dried Oak leaf. Let this steep for 30min and use this for 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today. This will get him properly acclimated and start the 10-14 day treatment.
Tomorrow-using the premixed treatment water make 50% daily water changes.
If you used a tannin source the water in the jug should look darker each day and this is what you want.
Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small freq meals. If you have live mosquito larva offer several rinsed for one meal a day.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Wait so I don't need 50 percent for my heavily planted filtered ten gallon?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote