Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2012, 03:05 AM   #1 
mstenorsaxplayer

Filters

I recently installed an elite mini filter in my veiltail's tank. It was too strong for him because he is sick, so I had to baffle it. Well, I noticed some red in his fins which I know can be a result of ammonia poisoning. I was wondering if filters will filter our water conditioners. I use Jungle Start Right, and Tetra Easy Balance to get rid of ammonia, heavy medals, and chlorine. Would it filter any of these out? Also, I am about to start him on some meds for an internal parasite. Should I take the filter out for that?
mstenorsaxplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:00 AM   #2 
whatsupyall

When treating for disease/illness, I recommend no filtration as the medication needs to work it's magic. I'm not sure if filtration will filter out the meds, but it I imagine it would be more effective without it. In addition, when treating, I prefer to take the fish out of it's home and put it in a so called 'hospital' tank to medicate.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #3 
mstenorsaxplayer

Okay. Thanks :) DO you think it will filter out water conditioner?
Old 11-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #4 
gemsbok

Water conditioner cannot be filtered out of a tank before it has a chance to work. It acts on the chlorides in the water immediately after being added, so there's no time for the filter to get rid of it. You should be adding conditioner to your water before putting it in the tank anyway. If you're using medicine, you have to take out any carbon in your filter beforehand, as carbon can draw meds out of the water column.
gemsbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #5 
sainthogan

generally they recommend that you remove the filter medium when using medication as they tend to counteract each other. So, you could just turn off the filter, but still remove its cartridge and everything should be fine. You could leave the filter running without the cartridge, but since you said he was in a weakened state, I would recommend completely turning it off. (I leave mine running because she tends to freak out if the water stops flowing, but I remove the cartridge)
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #6 
mstenorsaxplayer

Thanks y'all. :)
Old 11-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #7 
Wendyjo

You only need to remove carbon when medicating - you do not need to remove the rest of the media or the filter itself. It doesn't make much of a difference for a betta since they breathe from the surface, but for other fish you typically would want to keep the filter in and even add an airstone as some meds affect the amount of oxygen in the water.

If you're worried about ammonia then I would suggest testing for it.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

^ +1

Carbon removes meds and other organics but, as Gemsbok notes, not conditioner.. If your tank is cycled, you'll need to keep your filter media in and your filter running.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #9 
mstenorsaxplayer

Alright. Thanks y'all! :)
Old 11-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #10 
Wendyjo

I'm pretty sure the tank isn't cycled.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote