Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2013, 02:39 AM   #1 
Starfish1

Anyone painted their house with fish?

We are having our bathroom painted. It's one of those companies that comes in and sprays your shower tiles to look like marble. The paint/chemicals will be sprayed on over a two day period. The bathroom is not connected to my room where the fish are.

What do I need to do as a precaution? I was thinking of covering their tanks with towels and then maybe putting a plastic sheet around the door and towels underneath the door. I'm nervous because it's not regular paint like you would use for the walls and it's supposed to smell for awhile afterwards. I don't like that it's being sprayed in the air but there's nothing I can do about this :(

Do I need to turn off the filter? I don't wanna re cycle my tank but will if I need to. :(
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

I would keep the bedroom door shut as much as possible. Avoid too much traffic in and out of the room (which can bring the airborne particles in). Cover the tanks with syran wrap, keeping at least one or two spots open for air circulation. I do that for when (we used to have) carpets cleaned. If the bathroom has a window that opens, open it... Since any time you paint you SHOULD have open circulation via doors and windows, not just the fan. The fan pushes it around the bathroom, and sometimes even around the house...

Keep the filter on - you can also cover the filter top with a cloth or something, just to avoid particles again falling in. Though I'm used to dust and dirt finding it's way in, I wouldn't want the chemicals in there That would be if you'd like to be extra paranoid :p I usually am. My pets usually get the paranoia safety. LOL.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #3 
Starfish1

Yep I'm the same, the paranoia safety lol

Ok so towels it is and I'll keep the door closed and maybe put a towel underneath.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #4 
BeautifulHope

When I spray for bugs, I put press n seal wrap over my tanks. It keeps any chemicals from seeping in. It's only for one day so they've always been fine over 24 hours. The towels might still allow some chemicals to seep in so I would recommend trying press n seal or cling wrap… maybe tin foil would work, also. I've done it for a few years & I haven't lost one yet.
BeautifulHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Cling wrap is great to use.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #6 
Starfish1

Okay so cling wrap it is! Thanks guys, I feel so much better now I was really worried about it. I'll see if I can find the press and seal too :)
Old 07-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #7 
BeautifulHope

You're welcome! :)
BeautifulHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #8 
Freyja
Banned

I normally use a brush or a roller when I paint. Fish don't have enough surface are to absorb paint.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Yeah, I am guessing they are doing something similar to stecco? I know rollers that make a great textured surface =D Only way I'd paint. If I used spray cans or whatever, it would be on an object I removed to the outdoors, and kept outside for minimum 48-72 hours (due to fumes, personally)