Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #1 
QueenAccountant

New Betta, Tail Split

I got a new betta last week, and I noticed today that part of his back fin has split. Is there anyway that can fix it? I'm not sure how it happened. Maybe the decorations did it. Idk.

Here's the cam I put up of my betta if you want to see it.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/helofish
QueenAccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Doesn't look too bad. The only thing I can see would be the plastic plants, they are notorious for causing Betta's fins to rip unfortunately. If you replace them with silk/fabric plants it will help lots.

Also you can invest in a water conditioner called Stress Coat, this contains aloe vera in it which will help heal up his fins and keep him healthy! He's a beautiful fish!!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #3 
QueenAccountant

Thanks for the reply. So Stress Coat is a water conditioner? Will I have to use anything else when I change the water in my tank? Currently I'm using Betta Bowl Plus, since my tank is so large. I get so paranoid when I change things up, b/c I don't want to kill my betta. I'm going to order the stress coat and get some silk plants on Friday when I get paid.
QueenAccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:36 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yep Stress Coat is a water conditioner as well so you don't have to use the Betta Bowl Plus. I don't want to say all water conditioner's are created equal but they will all do your base things like getting rid of chlorine and usually heavy metals in the water. But the better ones like Prime, Stress Coat and API Tap Water Conditioner get rid of more than just those two things so I'd suggest looking into them as well. But you'll only have to use one at a time unless your tap water has ammonia in it; then you should be using Prime all the time.

You can use some in conjunction as well like if you did have ammonia in your tap so you'd have to use Prime at all times but then if your Betta ripped his fins, then you can use Stress Coat on top of it. Of course I don't suggest it all the time, it won't hurt him but it's just basically over kill and not needed at all.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote