Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #1 
Jimmybetta

Sudden holes/fin shredding - Delta male

Hi all - reposting this - think it got buried in another thread? We have a case of "sudden holes and shredding" with my Delta tail boy - started with holes and progressed to all of his fins over about a week. He had huge, full fins when we got him. No redness or other discoloration - just the holes+shredding although I did notice a small grey patch on his head above one eye today (you can see in one of the pics). He's in a cycled 5 gallon hex tank with a small heater + filter + a few silk plants and we've had him since early summer. He hasn't had any problems until this - we did have an unplanned longish period of time between water changes recently - about 2 + 1/2 weeks where we got some brown algae and then did an almost 100% water change, but otherwise we change/test regularly and have good water quality. The water seemed a bit "foggy" after the big water change but tested OK. The filter flow seems to be higher with a higher water level in the tank, but we've had him long enough to go through many water changes and varying water levels so don't think that's it. What is the basic protocol with a salt treatment? How much/volume and can I add it directly to his tank or does it need to be a separate bath (we have a smaller Fluval tank we could use)? It doesn't appear that he has any secondary infections (yet) but I'd hate to treat him with medicine he doesn't need that could be harmful. Or if you suggest meds at this point, which ones? He is still very social and his appetite/attitude are completely fine and intact. pics attached (sorry not great quality)
Attached Images

Jimmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The plastic plant.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #3 
babystarz

I would just stick with frequent water changes for now, and maybe add stress coat if you've got it. Hold off on any other sort of treatment; of course if he does appear to be getting any infection aquarium salt is the first line of defense, with 2 tsp. per gallon and daily 100% water changes for 10 days being the standard protocol. Most people prefer to use a 1 gal bare bottomed quarantine tank for treatments because it's easier to do those water changes all the time.

Since his behavior is good, and he's eating well and doesn't look like he has any fin rot, just keep a close eye on him. If the patch on his eye looks any worse in the next few days, you could do one round of aquarium salt treatment.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The Betta dooes not have fin rot it leaves black edges.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #5 
Jimmybetta

there is the one on the side of the tank - do you think that could be it after months of him being in the tank and having no issues (an just affecting the top/tail fins)? Regardless though, if suspect it is easy enough to remove I suppose! :) so as for encouraging regrowth of his fins, what are your suggestions? thx.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #6 
Jimmybetta

sorry - that last post of mine was about the plastic plant :)
Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Do you use plastic or dilk plants remember never use plastic plants with Bettas.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #8 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmybetta View Post
there is the one on the side of the tank - do you think that could be it after months of him being in the tank and having no issues (an just affecting the top/tail fins)? Regardless though, if suspect it is easy enough to remove I suppose! :) so as for encouraging regrowth of his fins, what are your suggestions? thx.
Clean water is really the only thing that matters. Maybe get some Indian Almond Leaves too, they help boost the immune system :) Fin regrowth is slow, so don't be discouraged if he looks bad for a while yet. When the fins start to regrow, you will begin to see clear or white edges on the fins, which will turn the color of the fish's tail over time.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #9 
registereduser

My delta had a very fluffy flowing tail then he got into the habit of swimming by the filter intake and letting it suck his tail in. I have video of it

Anyway, now his tail is not so long and fluffy

His other fins are fine.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am telling you that is no fin rot with fin rot the edges are black it could be fin nipping.