Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #1 
jeremywadejunior

Question Salt Bath?

Hello,
I have a halfmoon who has fin rot and I have started treatment for him in his hospital tank. I am using Maracyn 2 and Melafix. I am also interested in salt baths, as I have heard these can have miraculous results. But how exactly should I administer salt baths? (how much salt, how long, what kind of salt, how often?)
Thank you for your help.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #2 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywadejunior View Post
Hello,
I have a halfmoon who has fin rot and I have started treatment for him in his hospital tank. I am using Maracyn 2 and Melafix. I am also interested in salt baths, as I have heard these can have miraculous results. But how exactly should I administer salt baths? (how much salt, how long, what kind of salt, how often?)
Thank you for your help.
Melafix can harm the labyrinth organ of bettas, causing them to drown, so ditch that immediately and do a water change!

Your average run of the mill fin rot does not need antibiotics, but since you have started the Maracyn 2 treatment, go ahead and finish it out.

I would not recommend using aquarium salt along with the Maracyn 2, because I don't know how it will interact.

If you were just going to do aquarium salt (found at pet stores), the standard treatment is to move your fish to a 1 gallon quarantine tank, and add 2 tsp. of aquarium salt per gallon, with daily 100% water changes to avoid salt buildup for a maximum of 10 days. You leave the fish in the salty water full time.

After you finish the course of treatment with the Maracyn 2, you can go ahead and do a course of aquarium salt if you haven't seen improvement in the fin rot.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #3 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Melafix can harm the labyrinth organ of bettas, causing them to drown, so ditch that immediately and do a water change!

Your average run of the mill fin rot does not need antibiotics, but since you have started the Maracyn 2 treatment, go ahead and finish it out.

I would not recommend using aquarium salt along with the Maracyn 2, because I don't know how it will interact.

If you were just going to do aquarium salt (found at pet stores), the standard treatment is to move your fish to a 1 gallon quarantine tank, and add 2 tsp. of aquarium salt per gallon, with daily 100% water changes to avoid salt buildup for a maximum of 10 days. You leave the fish in the salty water full time.

After you finish the course of treatment with the Maracyn 2, you can go ahead and do a course of aquarium salt if you haven't seen improvement in the fin rot.
I have treated him with only aquarium salt in the past for fin rot, but there wasn't much improvement after the 10 days, which is why I am now using the Maracyn.

I'll ditch the Melafix, thanks for warning me!

I'll go ahead and treat him on the Maracyn for 5 days, and if I still don't see improvement, I'll follow it up with an aquarium salt treatment.

Thank you for your advise. Fin rot with this one has been stubborn ever since I bought him (only a month ago), so I want to treat him as best I can so I can hopefully eliminate the problem.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #4 
Rockandrollgirl09

This is a random question and stuff but How do you post questions like this on this for people to answer?
Rockandrollgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #5 
hynesh9792

RockandRollgirl09, When you go to a category in the forum, at the top you will see "new thread". It's a small button at the top left, right above the titles of the posts.
hynesh9792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #6 
Rockandrollgirl09

OK thank you I found it
Rockandrollgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #7 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywadejunior View Post
I have treated him with only aquarium salt in the past for fin rot, but there wasn't much improvement after the 10 days, which is why I am now using the Maracyn.

I'll ditch the Melafix, thanks for warning me!

I'll go ahead and treat him on the Maracyn for 5 days, and if I still don't see improvement, I'll follow it up with an aquarium salt treatment.

Thank you for your advise. Fin rot with this one has been stubborn ever since I bought him (only a month ago), so I want to treat him as best I can so I can hopefully eliminate the problem.
Ah I see, understood! I do know that some strains of fin rot can be very treatment resistant (the the point that some people have resorted to physical surgery to remove diseased fin parts), so please keep us updated on his progress. If it doesn't improve there are a few other antibiotic combinations you could try. Hopefully the Maracyn 2 will knock it out though.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote