Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #1 
aemaki09

Sorority with Molly's or Barbs??

I have a 26 gallon community tank at the moment that I am planning to change into a sorority.
I have a friend that is willing to take whatever I decide to take out of my community tank so I can add the sorority. She will take all if need be as well.
In the community tank there are 4 Dalmation Molly's, 4 Rosy Barbs, and 3 peppered Cory's, (I am aware that it is over stocked, which is also a reason i want to get rid of a few)

Would any of these fish be compatible with my sorority? My friend has her tank all cycled up and is getting antsy and wants me to decide before the end of this weekend. I am going to keep the cory's regaurdless, but dont know if I should try any of the others?
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #2 
FishyFishy89

The mollys and cories should be.
My sorority list has 9 mollys and 6 cories to go into my 75 gallon. There will then be about 5-ish female bettas. I don't remember all the numbers(the list is on my previous phone). But I remember I had atleast 3 of 3 molly types(swordtails(or the white guys), the orange guys and dalamtions)

One of the keys to sororities is plant plant plant and more plants. Stuff it with as many live hardy plants as you possibly can. Make it nice and full. Have some floating as well as planted. You can add extra hidys, but a fully planted tank gives plenty of natural hidys. You can also go with a TON of the fake plants. I just find it cheaper to go live. Especially if your just buying anacharis, wisteria, hornworts and java ferns.

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 11-16-2012 at 08:09 AM.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #3 
aemaki09

Thanks for your reply. I think I might try to keep them.

My tank is pretty well planted, half real and half fake for now, but to me it looks like there are plenty of hiding areas
Old 11-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #4 
kfryman

Rosy barbs shouldn't have been in the tank to begin with... They grow too big and you should be housing 5+ When it comes to stocking a tank, don't read what is the minimum to have so you can just have more types of fish, if you have the space, limit yourself to only a few different types a fish give shoaling/schooling fish. Smaller fish means more in a 26 because you can have tons of them, but mollies can only have a few. Bump up the cories to at least 5, you shouldn't use minimum to stock a tank. Ever. the fish will be a lot happier with more of them and less of the minimum groups.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #5 
homegrown terror

our new-and-improved sorority includes 11 bettas, two mollies, three platies, two ADF's and three mystery snails, as well as at least 30 live plants. everyone gets along just fine, since each fish has a "spot" that's his or her own space. they crisscross all over the tank, but each have one special place to go when they need to feel safe.

EDIT: suddenly, photos!

Last edited by homegrown terror; 11-16-2012 at 09:04 PM.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #6 
aemaki09

Wow your tank looks great!

I decided to rehome of all the fish except the cory's. But the tank looks so empty right now I am debating getting the Molly's back.