Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #1 
Ramla

Mystery snails

So I was hoping to get a nerite snail, but I am unsure if they have them near where I live. So question on what's your opinions on mystery snails? I can't afford having a snail explosion and my tank is only 3 gallons, it has a filter, and is heated. and it gets a 50% water change a week and a full cleaning once a month. I don't know anything about snails really so any input would be valued. Thanks :)
Ramla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #2 
KRTrenkamp

I have a couple of golden mystery snails. 1 for each of my 10 gallon tanks. If you get a snail (I believe this goes for any kind of snail) and you don't want snail eggs, it's best to only get one. Or else they breed and then next thing you know you have snail eggs on the side and possibly the lid/hood of your tank.

Here is an article on them I found that seems to have some good information if you still have some questions: http://www.aqua-fish.net/show.php?h=mysterysnails
KRTrenkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #3 
Ramla

Alrighty
And I guess are they likely to crawl out of the tank? I have a few open spots where they could get out of if they do
Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #4 
KRTrenkamp

Yes, they are. I had three of them until one got out through the hole where the filter is. For the most part though they tend to stay in the tank.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

I have 3 mystery snails, 2 blue & 1 black & they're in 3 different tanks because of past experiences. Guidelines are 2g of water per snail so your 3g would only be good for one. Also they are heavy waste producers so be prepared. You will need to supplement them with algae wafers & your Betta will probably munch on the wafers. They also like veggies & some calcium for a healthy shell. They can climb out, I had 2 previous ones do this, my dog found one before I did & the other damaged its shell so badly it didn't make it. My black snail has never tried to get out, he is quite happy & big, he's probably about the size of a golf ball. I love them & will most likely get at least 1 more if not 2 for my 2 new tanks.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #6 
Ramla

I guess curiousity is if you had a choice what would you prefer to have in your tank a nerite or mystery snail?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #7 
KRTrenkamp

I'd say the decision maker for me would be, 'do you think Algae is a problem in your tank? and/or 'do you think there maybe surplus food at the bottom of the tank?'

Because from what I've read, nerite snails eat only algae and a little bit of vegetable matter. So if you think you want a snail that is going to focus more on algae, go nerite snail.

If you want a snail that will consume algae and also rotting vegetation and surplus fish food in the tank, go mystery snail.

I'd personally choose mystery snail. They may not focus solely on algae, but they will take care of any left over food bits your Betta may have missed and might try to consume later.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 AM   #8 
Maddybelle

aokashi just made a lovely thread on snails, and I wrote a section on mystery/apple snails.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=119758
If there's anything else you have questions about regarding apple snails, feel free to PM me. I breed them, and I love the little slimy buggers!
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote