Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #1 
asukabetta

taibiting, decor damage, tear or fin rot???

Look at the pictures and tell me if this is

a- Fin rot (pin holes), it appeared suddenly not more than a few hours ago

b- Tailbiting, fins are long and heavy it could be

c- Damage from decor, possible too, however it may look a bit too clean for a decor damage type wound

d- Flaring, he flares AT LOT, more than any other betta I've seen so far

His tank is a 4G, he will have live plants on Tuesday, and the bright gravel will be replaced with sand. As you can see the wounds are clean and in a specific concentrated area. I'm leaning towards A and B. But I want your feedback as well.

So far keeping water clean and warm.

In case of fin rot, which I think it could be, how often should water be changed in a 4g tank? Though it also looks like tailbiting, in that case what could I do to distract his agression?

(It's weird because I performed a 100% water change yesterday. Because I added him to his 4g)

asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #2 
babystarz

I don't think it's tailbiting personally, it just doesn't look choppy enough for that. It also doesn't appear to be fin rot, at least at this stage. My guess it's a combination of C and D. If he's flaring a lot, when he flares he might be charging around and not paying attention to catching his fins on decor?

I would increase water changes temporarily until this heals. What is your current water change schedule?

As far as cutting down his aggression goes, do all you can to make sure he cannot see his reflection or other fish. Maybe tint the water with IAL too.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #3 
asukabetta

Thanks but can decor just injure one area so cleanly i dont see how my decor could have done that so defined like
Old 11-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #4 
gemsbok

To me it seems more likely he's just suffering a little blowout from too much flaring. Definitely doesn't look like tailbiting or fin rot. Could be decor damage, though you already said you think that's unlikely.
gemsbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #5 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsbok View Post
To me it seems more likely he's just suffering a little blowout from too much flaring. Definitely doesn't look like tailbiting or fin rot. Could be decor damage, though you already said you think that's unlikely.
thanks! I'm slowly going to turn his tank into a very planted one so, hopefully that will make him flare less :D
Old 11-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #6 
gemsbok

No problem. Good luck!
gemsbok is offline   Reply With Quote