Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2012, 03:05 AM   #1 
Fishiey

Help..Should I re-cycle my tank?

Hi I'm here again..I just finished curing my fish for his tail rot disease. I used API Pimafix for curing it for 7 days and change his water 100% on the 8th day, that was last Saturday. Then now its Monday (2 days after I did the water change) I test all the water parameters and found out that the Ammonia level is high..It is 1.0ppm but 0 Nitrite and 0 Nitrate. I actually have doubts when the staff in the petstore told me that my tank was already cycled for just 12days, that was 3 weeks ago and my tank is 5 Gallon by the way. So I'm really thinking if my tank is really cycled or not. I always change water because its been 2 weeks since my fish got sick and I need to change his water for him to get better. But now he's getting better, I don't really want to change his water every 2 days just because the ammonia is high (what's the purpose of cycling it right?) Anyway, I am more than willing to re do the cycle if I need to but I'm just not sure if that will be safe for my fish and I don't really know how to cycle a tank for the second time and this time with fish inside. Hope someone will help me.
Fishiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:24 AM   #2 
paloverde

Hi, Perhaps the best way to understand how to cycle, or as your case may be, re cycle with a fish in the tank, is to read a sticky at the top of this page. It's titled nitrogen cycle betta specific, it's by oldfishlady. Feel free to ask more questions if needed.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:57 AM   #3 
mahi

It doesn't look like your tank is really cycled. Ammonia should be at zero in a cycled tank. You will probably have to re-cycle it. Cycling it is easier long term, as you will have to do fewer water changes after the cycle is established.

How big is your tank?
mahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:33 AM   #4 
Fishiey

Thanks for the advise Paloverde. I just read the whole sticky post by OFL. I thought its for first time cycle only because I didn't read the post of other people. But now it make sense, and I'm beginning to understand. Thanks.

@ Mahi, yeah I just started my re-cycle stage again just a while ago. My tank is 5 Gallon with just betta in it, no live plants. But I actually want to buy some moss ball for my betta but not sure if that will be alright during the re-cycling process.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:57 AM   #5 
mahi

I had some mossballs in my tank while cycling and they survived just fine.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:02 AM   #6 
Fishiey

ohhh that's great..coz my little fishiey is getting quite bored alone..well we always talk and play with him to reduce his boredom. Thanks for the advise again..
Old 11-19-2012, 05:26 AM   #7 
mahi

No problem. Just follow the advise from the sticky about fish-in cycling and it should be fine. Good luck!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

If your ammonia is at 1 you need to do at least a 50% water change to bring it down, let the filter run for a little bit then retest, if the ammo is still above .25 you'll need to do another water change. Ammo at 1 is way too high.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #9 
Fishiey

Hi shellieca, I did a 25% WC tonight but I haven't retest the water prams though. Thanks for reminding me that btw. I will test it now and see what I'll get
Old 11-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #10 
Fishiey

okay, so I just tested my ammonia and I still got 1.0ppm should I do water change again? wont that stress my little fishiey? he just got a bit better from tail biting episode. Tomorrow Im also planning to get him some stress coat to reduce stress from frequent water change. Oh I have one more question, will stress coat affect the process of re-cycling the tank?