Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #11 
mahi

I think the ammonia is stressing him out more than the water changes. I would do 50% changes until you measure the ammonia to be below 0.25.

Ammonia is really very toxic for a fish.
mahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #12 
Fishiey

Okay Im gonna try that now..seriously, I don't really know what's happening with my tank :( I just change 100% 2 days ago and now its 1ppm..I know its way too high but I dont really know the reason..Is it his diet maybe? Now Im getting worried for my little boy :(
Fishiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #13 
Wendyjo

If your reading 1.0ppm ammonia and you do a 50% water change then you're still going to have .50ppm ammonia and that is still to high.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #14 
LizzyP

I highly doubt your tank was cycled. Did you seed it with material from another established tank? Cycling process usually takes about 6-8 weeks to complete. I would invest in a API Freshwater Master Liquid Test Kit, you can get them on Amazon cheaper than the stores, if you don't already have one.

If I were you, I would take everything out of the tank, gravel, decorations, heater, filter and rinse it all in warm tap water. Just get rid of any bacteria you might have had and start fresh. Test you tap water, does it have any ammonia in it to begin with? Set it all up again and fill with conditioned water, you do have conditioner, right? Turn the filter on and add the fish, if you're doing a fish in cycle, but I don't recommend that to someone without the experience.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111960
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

All three of those articles are awesome. I highly suggest you read them, and I mean really read them. Also, PM Hallyx, he's awesome and can give you great information. He held my hand through the entire cycling process of my 5.5 gallon. He really knows what he's talking about.

Again, I would see if you can get another tank to keep your fish in while this is going on. You can really hurt your fish if you don't do it properly. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all harmful to fish, some more than others, but if left untreated then your fish could get really sick or die. You have to be diligent on your 50% weekly water changes, no excuses. Again, make sure you have your own liquid test kit.

Hope that helps, happy holidays.
Lizzy
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #15 
Matilda

Just to chime in, make sure you're using a water conditioner that will detoxify the ammonia, nitrites & nitrates. Prime is a great one.
Stress Coat will remove the chlorine & break the chloramine bond but will only detoxify the ammonia that was already in the tap water. It won't help with the extra ammonia in the tank.
Matilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #16 
shellieca
Reference Team

Yes do a water change, do more than one if need be to get the ammonia down as close to 0 as possible. It's more stressful & dangerous to have the ammonia. I don't know what water conditioner you're using but it shouldn't mess with your cycle. I only use Prime but I wouldn't think stress coat would bother it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #17 
Fishiey

@ LizzyP thanks for all the link you gave me, I will definitely read all of that. I'm currently re-cycling my tank now since Monday, I didn't clean all the decorations though.I just change the water 75% because when I test it I got 1.0ppm. But actually I cleaned all the decorations and gravel last Saturday after I treated my little fish from his tail biting/tail rot episode, until now Im not sure whether he's already treated coz his tail and fins are still short given the fact that he is long tailed betta. But anyway back to the topic, so I've been diligent in changing my tank water twice a day since Monday because the ammonia just wont drop in first change. Today I just tested it and I got Ammonia of 0.5, Nitrite of 5 and Nitrate of 5. So I'm gonna change 50% water again. Actually I tested our tap water and its giving me 0.25 Ammonia. So I'm not really sure what to do about that. But I will read your links and see what I can do.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #18 
Fishiey

@ matilda and shellieca I just bought API Stress Coat+ yesterday, it's also a water conditioner at the same time. So will that helps my cycle? I have a water stabilizer, do you guys think I can use that to helps build up beneficial bacteria in my tank? Im really thankful for all your advises and guide during this process. I dont know if I will make it if Im alone and no one to talk to.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #19 
Wendyjo

The only product that will help with the cycle is one that contains the correct species of bacteria. Otherwise you just have to wait and let them multiply at their own rate.

Once the tank is cycled that .25 ppm of ammonia in the tap water will be taken care of by the bacteria. In the mean time I'd use Prime water conditioner with each water change as it helps make the ammonia less dangerous to your fish. That will be the only water conditioner you'll need.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #20 
Fishiey

okay I will see when I can buy it, coz I just actually bought the stress coat+ yesterday and pet store is not near from my house. I might buy it tomorrow hope that will be alright. So can you tell me what is the brand of that prime conditioner? if i use that, does that mean I dont need to use the stress coat anymore? For the mean time, I will do a water change about 25% later to reduce the Nitrite and Ammonia.