Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #21 
Matilda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishiey View Post
okay I will see when I can buy it, coz I just actually bought the stress coat+ yesterday and pet store is not near from my house. I might buy it tomorrow hope that will be alright. So can you tell me what is the brand of that prime conditioner? if i use that, does that mean I dont need to use the stress coat anymore? For the mean time, I will do a water change about 25% later to reduce the Nitrite and Ammonia.

Prime water conditioner is made by Seachem. It seems a little more expensive to buy but you only use 1 drop per gallon so it ends up being very economical. There aren't any water conditioners that will help with the cycle, they only make the water less toxic to the fish. You can use Prime by itself.

If you've already bought the other one go ahead & use it but add a little salt to his water, it will help him tolerate the Nitrite better.
Matilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #22 
Wendyjo

It's 2 drops per gallon, not 1 drop.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #23 
Hallyx
Reference Team

You're getting entirely too much ammonia, much more than a single Betta can produce. Take Lizzie's advice and thoroughly clean out that tank and start from the beginning. Do not clean out the filter. You might still have some nitrifying bacteria in there.

If your fish is not in robust good health, I would not recommend a fish-in cycle. You can keep him in his 5g with adequate water changes to keep ammonia below 0.25ppm.

You might want to fishless cycle the filter in a small tank or even a bucket. Put the filter into the show tank when it's cycled. This is much safer for a weak fish.

Read all you can about cycling.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote