Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Oto cat help

While I know this isn't exactly for bettas, Lucky, my oto is currently in the betta tankk and I am leaving tomorrow, and therefore I'd like to know what's up before I leave for so long.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? currently 76. Goes up to about 80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? The oto lives with 2 bettas

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? The bettas get a variety of foods. The oto feeds off of whats in the tank. She doesn't get any other foods (if anyone can suggest food that'd be great)
How often do you feed your betta fish? everyday for the bettas. Oto is on her own

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner/stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: N/a
Nitrate:N/a
pH: 7.6 (that's the normal pH level for campus water
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I've seen no change in Lucky's appearance. Her normal appearance is a dark brown body with a thick black stripe. Her underside is pale, and her mouth is browner than her underside. I've shined the flashlight on her and saw no difference.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? My oto has been swimming around her side of the tank like crazy. She rarely sticks to the side of anything anymore. Before she was on the gravel but she wasn't sucking on it, her mouth was actually not extended in anyway. When she sticks to the side of the tank, she struggles and slides down.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday when she didn't stop swimming. Luckily Squirt didn't bother, but I could tell it was making him anxious because she kept swimming in front of him.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I moved her over to Banana's side since there seemed to be more algae on the decor than the other side and I thought that her swimming around was because she couldn't find food, but she kept doing the whole thing again. When she did land on the decor, she fell off.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had her for a full month, and she was not full grown when I got her. So maybe a few months old

**Yes, I know that otos do well in groups, but considering I'm going to be putting 4 bettas in the 10 gallon with the oto, I think the bioload will be too great with more. PLUS, I know how fragile they are and I'm afraid that something will go wrong if I get more than one and put them in a small section of the tank. The whole month I've had Lucky, she has never experienced any sort of negative symptoms.**
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #2 
Alcemistnv

Now she's making me look like a liar, she's sticking to the side of the glass :/

I got her some cucumbers to eat. I put the smallest piece in the tank and will probably remove it tomorrow morning (since she's more active at night).
Old 11-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #3 
paloverde

Oto's are very specialized in what they feed on, algae and lots of it. I have set up algae farms in a spare tank, just to grow algae on flat smooth stones, and pieces of driftwood.While cucumber is tasty, it is not nutrient dense, try slightly blanched spinach, or spirulina wafers.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

I've tried spinach but she didn't even go near it :/

How long does it take to farm algae?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

First off two Bettas should never be together second they need twenty gallon tanks.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #6 
paloverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
I've tried spinach but she didn't even go near it :/

How long does it take to farm algae?
Not long, week or so. use a tub or whatever, mix a 1/4 tsp miraclegro plant food to 1 gal water, add a lot of light, the longer the photo period the better.The algae will grow on the stones that you add. You can also scrape it off of the sides and feed it to them that way. You wont need a heater or a filter. Sadly oto's often fail because they need a fully established, stable, planted tank,with Lots of algae and 5 or more of their own kind.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Also what do you mean you have two Bettas together OP?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #8 
Alcemistnv

Chocolate, I think you should know me well enough to know that I wouldn't put two bettas together. They're in a 10 gallon divided.

Palorde, is the algae only green, or does the grown slimy algae count as well?

I know that during the course of me being gone, I'm putting her on Banana's side because the one decor has went from white to green and I know it will feed her for a few days.

I wish she was able to eat the algae tablet. If anything I'll put half of it on her side, away from Squirt and see if there's any luck.

Banana will be out of the tank and coming home with me, so I guess I'll just separate Lucky and Squirt and hope it plays out well.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Wouldnt your lovely Otos look better in a twenty maybe you could give one Male the whole ten and the Other Male his own twenty with Otos.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #10 
Alcemistnv

Unfortunately, I can't do that. I'm in a college and 10 gallons is the max.

Lucky has been with me for a month. If anything had happened before hand I would have returned her, but unfortuantely its way past the return date, and I'm not returning her. This is a minor bump in the road, but I'm hoping to hve it fixed.