Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #1 
Bubblymle1

Exclamation Betta Emergency

My poor betta has a terrible case of fin rot and is barely holding on. I just transported him from his 5 gallon tank to a smaller 1.5 gallon bowl so I could do regular 100% water changes. I used melafix and treated the water with aqua safe. The water is approximately 80degrees and I have covered the bowl with cellophane.

What else can I do? Aquarium salt? Epson salt? How often should I change the water -- I don't want to cause additional stress on him. Please help!
Attached Images

Bubblymle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #2 
lexylex0526

It is urgent you do an IMMEDIATE water change. Melafix is bad for bettas, it actually can kill them within hours. You see there's an oil in melafix that coats the labrinyth organ and suffocates them. It is imperative you get him water without melafix in it.
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #3 
Myates

I honestly don't really see any fin rot..

Fin rot won't cause a change to the fish (other than blackened edges that seem to be flaking off) or show illness signs until the rot has eaten all of the fins and is attacking the body. But I don't see any rot..

What were his symptoms before you took him out?

lexy is correct, remove him from Melafix right away and just into a tank with water conditioner and (ONLY IF he is gasping for air) 2tsp of AQ salt per gallon and then you will be doing daily 100% water changes with the AQ salt/conditioner for no longer then 10 days (or sooner if he recovers).. the AQ may be able to help any gill troubles he got from Melafix.. also if he does have any form of rot, the AQ salt will kill it.

If he isn't gasping, then keep him in his hospital tank, keep the temp up around 78-80, water conditioner only in his tank and keep an eye on him over the next day or two.

Let us know any symptoms he had that made you pull him out of his home so we can find out what is really going on with him.

Last edited by Myates; 11-20-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #4 
Bubblymle1

Thank you for your replies. I do think our beta has fin rot -- I saw a piece of its tail on the aquarium floor. If it does't what do you think is causing the shredding of its tail? I appreciate all suggestions!!

Last edited by Bubblymle1; 11-20-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #5 
Bubblymle1

He has grown increasingly lethargic, and grown very pale in color. I found him sucked up to the pump this morning and thought he had died, but when I went to scoop him out he weakly swam around the tank. He is not gasping for air, but he looks dead until I tap the tank and he -- ever so slightly, moves. What should I be doing? Should I add the aq. salt? I changed the water so it is no longer in the Melafix. Any suggestions much appreciated!!!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #6 
Myates

They do like to bite off their fins - a lot of times leaving chunks on the bottom of the tank. But either way, do the salt if you believe it's rot.. it will kill off any bacteria that has grown on the damaged fins.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dying, emergency, fin rot, sick betta