Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #1 
lflaviii

Switching Fish?

At the moment, I have six Harlequin Rasboras, one Betta, and two Panda Corys in a 10 gallon. While the fish I have seem happy enough, I noticed the Rasboras were looking a little translucent and pale and I just don't feel they have enough room to swim around. Along with that, my Betta hasn't been swimming as much since I got them and I think it's just too much going on in one tank, at one level of the tank.

Because of this, I've decided to return or rehome the Rasboras.

After that, I'll only have the Betta and the Corys in there, along with a few inverts. I'd like to get something else that I could maybe have fewer of, that's a little less active and maybe a little smaller. Does anyone have any ideas? Or do you think maybe getting two more Panda Corys would be the best bet?
lflaviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #2 
William Zhong

maybe corydoras not a good tankmates for betta, put some neon tetra or other tetra, its a good tankmates. maybe for a while your betta will hunt tetra, but next time he will adapt with them
William Zhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #3 
Animalactivist12

African dwarf frogs are really good tank mates, I have 1 ( I am getting another soon), six neon tetas, and a male crowntail in a 10 gallon
Animalactivist12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #4 
lflaviii

So far, the Cory's seem to be doing well! I'm definitely not getting rid of them as they're doing a great job of keeping my tank clean and they are adorable. :) They get along well with my Betta too.

I'll look into some small species of Tetra though!

I have an ADF right now as well. :) He is great! Maybe I'll get another of those instead of fish.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #5 
William Zhong

your betta is a kind fish, easy adaption, you can put african frog or neon tetra, or both of them. LOL
Old 06-22-2014, 10:03 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Why don't you wait to see how the tank goes after you rehome the Rasboras? If your Betta perks up you might want to reconsider adding anything else. Just my thoughts.

BTW, if you think the Rasboras bother him then Neons or other shoaling/schooling fish would definitely be a no-no.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 06-22-2014 at 10:05 PM.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #7 
lflaviii

It's not so much him I'm worried about as the Rasboras. They're fairly large and really active and I just don't think they have enough space. He got along with them pretty well, its mostly space I'm worried about, but that includes how they use the space (tank and activity levels, etc.)

I'll wait awhile after before making a decision but right now I'm leaning towards probably another bottom feeder.

Also, are Ember Tetras good with Bettas? Since they're smaller, I feel like they would do better but I don't know if they're compatible.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:09 PM   #8 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I have Embers and like them. but they're still the size of Neons: About an inch. I have Neons and Embers but mine are a bit nippy.

If you can find Dwarf Panda/Moscow Guppies, they are tiny at about .5" but you'd probably have to get them on AquaBid; that's where I found mine. I have all males and they are very peaceful.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #9 
William Zhong

i'm sorry, i don't know what kind of fish is rasboras, their behavior, food, and aggressifity. maybe if they are a kind of tetra, you can try 'em