Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #1 
mstenorsaxplayer

Problems and questions again.

So, I thought the constipation issue was over. Well, now I am not sure whats wrong. He doesn't seem to be a strong swimmer right now. Sometimes in his sleep he will tilt over to the side just a bit then wake up and swim to the top for air. He isn't as fast at getting there as he normally is and it looks like he is having to work harder to get there. Could this be a swim bladder issue?

He is also sleeping either propped up on his filter or at the bottom with his head tilted down. He used to sleep almost vertically at the top.

White stringy poo too
mstenorsaxplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

We will need care info. But sounds like internal parasites. .http://www.petco.com/product/112087/...eCat=LookAhead But salt bath and IAL help with any medical problems.

Last edited by ChoclateBetta; 11-17-2012 at 03:13 PM.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #3 
babystarz

Yep epsom salt treatment is a good idea, it does sound like an internal problem.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Aquarium salt is better.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #5 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Aquarium salt is better.
For external parasites, yes. For internal parasites, epsom salt is usually recommended.

From the Disease and Treatment Thread Part 2:
Quote:
Internal Parasites
•Treatment: These can be hard to fight and can get confused with the fatal disease Tuberculosis. Perform daily 100% water changes (if possible, for larger aquariums change 3/4). Make sure you carefully clean the gravel to remove eggs/larva. Aq.Salt does not seem to be affective against internal parasites. I find combining ES with an anti-parasite med is best. Treat with 1-2tsp/gal Epsom Salt combined with either Jungle’s Anti-Parasite Pellets, Jungle’s Parasite Clear Fizz tabs or API General Cure. PP is also effective against internal parasites.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Sorry never dealt with them but the pellets reccomened are a good idea IAL boosta immune system.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #7 
mstenorsaxplayer

Thanks y'all. I knew not to give him aquarium salt baths because that can cause them to hold in more liquid which is not what I want haha.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Salt baths are reccomended for about 10 days. But you probably do not need that now. Lower temp encourages disease so what is temp so does dirty water so the sickness might be a problem in care.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #9 
mstenorsaxplayer

His heater is set to 79 f. I left him with a friend for 1 day. I take very good care of him. He was about to die when I rescued him. If I didn't think I could take care of him, I would have given him to someone who could.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #10 
Myates

Okay... he doesn't sound as if he needs any salts. Those aren't signs of parasites (either internal or external), nor SBD.

Sounds more like he is comfortable in his home, he is finding new places to sleep, he is being lazy about getting some air.. tilting while sleeping is normal.. there is no certain speed they swim at constantly. SBD he will have trouble keeping upright at all times, swimming either up or down (not speed, but literally thrashing and working hard to swim).

If he is eating just fine (2-3 pellets per meal 2x a day).. then leave him be and continue to watch him. But honestly, with what you are describing, it doesn't sound like he is ill... just being a fish. I can't count how many times my fish change any pattern they set when it comes to sleeping.. just this morning my oldest one was head down into the gravel leaning against his cave when he is usually in his plant or in his cave in the mornings. So they do change their routine as they go.. he just happened to of fell asleep there when he got tired.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote