Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #1 
LizzyP

Filter emergency

I made a big mistake and I'm kicking myself for it now.

Tonight I was doing a WC in my 5.5 gallon planted tank. Tank is also fully cycled and has been for about 1-2 weeks. I had to do some rearranging and replant some plants so I took the filter out and was going to put it in a bucket of water so the cartridge (it's just a foam block) wouldn't dry out and kill my BB. Well, now I'm wishing I'd just left it in the tank. I filled up the bucket I use for water changes and put the filter on, was about to plug it in when I realized I forgot the water conditioner. I know BB can't survive in water that isn't conditioned. It wasn't in this water long, a minute maybe 2 minutes at the most. I yanked it out and added double dose of conditioner and put it back in and started it up. I went on with the water change (with it running in the bucket) and when I went to put it back in the tank, I took some of the filter from my other established tank and wrapped it around this ones foam block. I put the fish in an emergency 1 gallon I have just incase my filter is spewing out ammonia at this point, so he's safe in clean, conditioned water. The 5.5 has a TON of plants, Amazon Swords, Anubias, and Wisteria. So if I go through a mini cycle, they'll be able to help.

Did I totally lose my entire cycle? Am I going to have to start over fresh? I just want to kick myself in the butt right now. I'm usually so careful but I was talking to my mom and just forgot. Ugh. All of this before I go away for 4 days.

Thanks everyone.
Lizzy
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #2 
LizzyP

Forgot to add: I'm on well water. Our water goes through some kin of filtration in the basement to kill bad stuff but nothing is added to it. Does that mean my filter will be okay?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #3 
Kevron56

Just a thought as I am a newbie too. You just did a water change so you should be good for a week so if you'll b gone for 4 days I think your baby should ok. When u return I would test the water parameters. If your ammonia has a reading then you may need to cycle again?

I hope your BB are still ok tho, good luck!
Kevron56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #4 
LizzyP

Well, I've got a snail in there who puts out as much ammonia as a goldfish. But, I did just read that well water doesn't contain chlorine or whatever that other C word is. So I'm not sure...
Old 11-19-2012, 11:45 PM   #5 
Kevron56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
Well, I've got a snail in there who puts out as much ammonia as a goldfish. But, I did just read that well water doesn't contain chlorine or whatever that other C word is. So I'm not sure...
Chloramine? I sucked in chemistry so these terms kill me too!

What kind of snail? I've been contemplating picking one up.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #6 
LizzyP

Mystery snail. Honestly, if you can keep up with the water changes, sure. But don't put it in anything smaller than 5 gallons because they eat and poop all day long.

And yes, that word. Lol
Old 11-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #7 
Kevron56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
Mystery snail. Honestly, if you can keep up with the water changes, sure. But don't put it in anything smaller than 5 gallons because they eat and poop all day long.

And yes, that word. Lol
Oh the life of a snail!

Did I mention I really like your signature thingy
Old 11-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #8 
Wendyjo

If it was just for a few minutes it should be fine. The amount of chlorine in our water is not like bug spray that kills instantly. If you're that worried then just do another water change to remove any bacteria that might have died off and is now in the water. But I think it should be fine.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote