Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #1 
shinitakin

New betta still not eating

It's been a bit over a week since I'd received my betta, and he still refuses to eat the pellets (Hikari Bio-Gold). I've tried to tap the edge of the bowl each time I put food in and I'll wiggle my finger around in the water near the pellets too. Sometimes he will sleep right next to or under the pellets and simply won't touch them.

He seems to be pretty healthy, swimming around and blowing his bubble nests. I managed to buy a new plant and a heater, so now he's got a little spot to hide behind and the water is around 74-76 F.

Some people have told me that bettas wouldn't starve themselves, so should I just keep waiting and trying pellets twice a day until he eats? It's just that I have no idea when was the last time he ate, since Walmart doesn't seem to always feed their fish.

Thanks for your help!
shinitakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

He needs higher water temp and how big is the bowl?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #3 
shinitakin

Ahh, so maybe about 78F? See, I have the heater set to 80F, but it keeps at 74-75 for some reason. :( I don't want to turn it up too high in case the water suddenly shoots up in temperature while I'm in classes and such. Even though I've read really great reviews about the Hydor heater, when the temperature drops at night (which it does really quickly in the northeast), the water in the bowl seems to quickly fall too, so I'm afraid of keeping it high and then having it fluctuate so much overnight.

And I believe it's a 1.5 gallon bowl.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

77-83F is the ideal temp and it should stay stable. How many water changes do you do?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #5 
shinitakin

Well, I've only had him for a little over a week so far, but what I've done and am planning on doing is one 50% in the middle of the week and one 90% on the weekends. Do you think I should just turn up the dial on my heater then?

And do you believe that it is because of the temperature that he does not feel like eating?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

For 1 - 2 gallon tanks: A 25% - 50% water change is recommended every other day, with a 100% water change once a week. Copied from care sticky.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #7 
shinitakin

Ahh I was actually using OFL's water change recommendations, which was one 50% and one 100%.

My main question still is, do you think it is the temperature that is causing him to not feel like eating? He appears to be swimming fine and such.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #8 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinitakin View Post

My main question still is, do you think it is the temperature that is causing him to not feel like eating? He appears to be swimming fine and such.
Temps have nothing to do with it. Sometimes they just don't get the hang of it for awhile. If he doesn't start eating within another week try a different type of food.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #9 
Nothingness

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinitakin View Post
Ahh I was actually using OFL's water change recommendations, which was one 50% and one 100%.

Could be. Most people dont eat when stressed out so I would guess the same wold go for Bettas
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #10 
shinitakin

Got it, so I'll keep dropping the pellets in twice daily. Hopefully, he'll learn to eat them soon!