Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #11 
AyalaCookiejar

Thumbs up

Thank you! I actually used the marbles/rocks because they'd been sitting around the house for awhile. At first I was just going to use the marbles, but I added the rocks after finding out I didn't have enough to cover the bottom of the tank. I'm still hoping to add a few silk plants as well.

And I can't wait to get him a heater. Hopefully after he brightens up a bit I can get even better photos :)

Thanks a lot for all your help!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #12 
carbonxxkidd

I just have to say, I have that same set up! I like it a lot. I also have the plant that you have (two of them actually, one for each side of my tank). I really like that particular plant and none of my bettas have ever had a problem hurting themselves on it, it seems pretty smooth all around. They like to rest in the leaves too.

Your betta looks like he loves his new home! And I LOVE that pic of him in the eye of the house, so cute. :)
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Plastic plants can hurt fins and sponge filters are great. My Delta Tail loves his filter. So do my guppies in the other tank.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

Question

Do you have any specific recommendations for an adjustable heater with a thermostat for my 5 gallon tank? The reason I ask is I have read some pretty scary reviews... Even though some of them probably just got faulty heaters. And price isn't really an issue for me - I'm more concerned about quality.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It seems like often the lowest option is the best both of mine are on 80F the lowest they go.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #16 
AyalaCookiejar

What brand of heater do you have?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #17 
carbonxxkidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Do you have any specific recommendations for an adjustable heater with a thermostat for my 5 gallon tank? The reason I ask is I have read some pretty scary reviews... Even though some of them probably just got faulty heaters. And price isn't really an issue for me - I'm more concerned about quality.
I actually have the preset one from Walmart - the 5w Tetra one. I have a thermometer that has been reading 78 degrees since I put it in, so I think they are fine (as long as you keep an eye on the temp). I might look around/save up for an adjustable one in the future though. I have been using these same heaters at work for a couple years, we have 10 of them in 10 gallon tanks and have had only one malfunction in those two years (it never shut off and ended up heated the water up to about 90, we replaced it).
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I just use the Kits.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #19 
AyalaCookiejar

Thanks for your replies! My brother said he would pick me up a heater and bring it to town on Friday since he lives near a fish store.

I guess I'm just worried that it will malfunction and harm my fish since I can't keep an eye on the thermometer for 24 hours a day, but it happens. It's been almost a year since I got him, so I guess this is kind of his Christmas/anniversary present and I just want the best for him.

And I'm also looking into silk plants. He's had the same plastic plant in his old tank and has never been hurt on it, but I don't really want to take chances.

Thanks so much ^_^
Old 11-21-2012, 04:38 AM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Live easy to care for plants are best but silk is great.