Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #1 
Aquabreeze

...Possible splash of paint in the tank?

I've got one male betta living in a 1 gallon bowl in my dorm here, and I was writing on my mirror with dry-erase paint pen, and the pen suddenly splashed a lot of paint everywhere, and I'm worried some of it may or may not have gotten into the bowl. What should I do? (Also, forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this, if you want to move it, please do.)
Aquabreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #2 
Aquabreeze

I'm going to do a quick water change just to be safe, but I'd appreciate any help you guys could give me to protect him from the chemicals any paint splashes might have.
Aquabreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #3 
Gryphon

If it is not cycled, I'd definitely do a 100% water change for him. Did you actually see any get near and/or in the tank? I'm not sure what possible side effects might be attributed to getting paint in the tank, but I would assume it would be similar to getting chemicals in/near the tank.

So yes, water change and then watch him for any signs that something might be wrong. If a lot of paint got in the tank (even if it is 'non-toxic', this doesn't usually apply to fish), I'd almost suggest scrapping it and put him in a different tank. This is just my opinion though, I'm sure other people might have different opinions on the matter.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #4 
Wendyjo

Good reason to put a lid on it.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #5 
Kytkattin

I have put some terrible things in my tanks (by accident of course!). The one I remember the most was testing the ammonia in my 20 gal sorority. For some reason I was stupid and was holding the tube of water and one of the test chemicals over the tank with the open lid. Needless to say, I ended up doing like two 80% changes. No one died, luckily. Just wash everything really, really, really well. If you have live plants, they may or may not absorb the toxins depending on what the toxins are.

And I second the idea of a lid. For my 2 gallon drum bowl I got a sheet of plastic from Osh for like $5 and just cut it to size. It was super easy and now I don't have to worry about the cat getting in or the fish getting out!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote