Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #1 
coolprave

Unhappy Need help ♣♣

I Need Some Help

4 of my Betta Vt fish keep Jumping under water well to me it looks like jumping (its soo quick from one place to another its not swimming looks mor like jumping
they did it 4 or 5 time yesterday night. did not c anything today.

is this something i need to worry about

Please let me know

Thanks
coolprave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #2 
aemaki09

it could be parasites.

I'd keep a close eye on them, and maybe start treating with AQ salt for a couple days
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #3 
coolprave

Totally off the subject

Does AQ Salt help with wounds also ?
Old 11-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #4 
aemaki09

Yes it helps with fun rot and what not.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #5 
SpookyTooth

I'm sorry you're having difficulties. Please could you fill this out?

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #6 
coolprave

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 Gal and 1/2 Gal Tanks and my 5 females are in 4 Gal tank that's about 20Ltr
What temperature is your tank? its not cold in Sri lanka
Does your tank have a filter? NO
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? NO
Is your tank heated? NO
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? NON

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Blood Worms and Crushed Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a Day (Some Times Once)

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once Every Week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? NON

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? NO

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Appearance Hasn't Changed
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? a Bit Calm A Quite
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1 Day Ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Gonna Give them a AQ Salt Bath
Does your fish have any history of being ill? NO
How old is your fish (approximately)?one is about 3 months and the rest over 6 Months
Old 11-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #7 
Wendyjo

Are the fish doing this the ones in the 4 gallon tank?
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #8 
SpookyTooth

Thank you for filling the form out, it makes it so much easier for us to help you diagnose your fish There are a few red flags that pop up when reading over the data you've given us, I'd like to point those out as possible causes, if I may. Please note that while the below may highlight various issues, it is important that I bring them up as any individual thing or all of the things that I describe could be contributing to the decline in activity in your fish and could potentially lead to death.

The first issue is tank size; a 1 gallon aquarium has been said by many to provide a suitable permanent home for a betta, while not my own personal choice I respect what others have said and definitely recommend at least a 1 gallon aquarium per fish. Anything less than 2.5 gallons can be incredibly difficult to heat so 2.5 gallons would be even better.

The second issue is your 4 gallon; 5 fish in an unfiltered 4 gallon aquarium will likely have consistently high ammonia readings which can cause sickness and death. I think it's great that you have 5 females; this is a good number to have together as it distributes fighting within the 'pack' evenly and thus helps prevent a single female being singled out. This community of females is often referred to as a sorority and should be in a minimum of a 10 gallon aquarium that is very densely planted. The plants help break the line of sight and offer the females a place to escape to should they become stressed or intimidated by the other animals in the aquarium or activity on the outside.

The third issue is regarding water changes. Unfiltered, uncycled aquariums that are between 1 and 5 gallons with a single fish should receive two water changes per week: one 50% and one 100% (the 100% should also include a thorough cleaning of tank walls, decorations and substrate). This keeps ammonia levels in the safe zone (i.e. at or close to 0) and reduces the risk of disease. A betta in a healthy aquarium should seldom get sick. With regards to your 5 females in the 4 gallon I can't make any recommendations as I honestly do not believe this to be at all safe and would implore you to upgrade to a 10 gallon or give your ladies individual aquariums.

The fourth issue is the lack of heating. While it may be warm where you live you at least need a thermometer in each aquarium so you can accurately and safely read the temperature. A strip thermometer on the oustide of an aquarium isn't very reliable so one that is adorned with a suction cup, designed for use within the aquarium is definitely recommended. Betta spledens need to be kept within the 78 - 82F range, with 80F being ideal. In a standard household setting, the water temperature of your aquariums will be a few degrees lower than the air temperature.

It is also important to highlight the necessity of consistency when it comes to heat. Temperatures often drop at night and the fluctuations can cause stress, immune system failure, disease and death amongst fish -- not just bettas. It is very important that your fish have a consistent temperature, even if it is below the recommended range for bettas. Aquarium heaters provide this by gradually heating the water to the set temperature (some have an in-built thermostat whereas others can be adjusted to your desired temperature); heaters are designed to detect the temperature of the water and they will switch off once they have heated the water to the set temperature; they'll switch back on once it drops a degree or two below what it is supposed to be.

With the above considered and hopefully with a few more contributions from other memebrs we can continue to rule out the cause of your fishes' troubles and make them feel better.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #9 
coolprave

The ones in the 4Gal Tank are oki

and SpookyTooth thanks for the info i got two 2.5Gal Tanks yesterday i will move 2 of them 2 those 2 tanks and i will post the water temp as soon as a get my thermometer

will keep u posted on the progress

Thanks
Old 11-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #10 
coolprave

i just gave them a salt bath and put them in their tanks for now they seem to be ok no jumping around il get my thermometer tomorrow so il post the temp
tomorr