Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #1 
CharStarr

My Betta is Nipping His Fins!

Hey guys, so I was looking at my mom's betta Dexter who is a HM and I noticed his top fin was shorter then usual.

What causes this and what am I able to do to help him? I got Bettafix to help his fins.
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:23 AM   #2 
moonsand0wls

It's usually boredom (the Betta has nothing to do, or has nothing to play with or hide in) so they chase and nip their tails. If you don't have much in their tank, by means of hiding spots or decorations, putting something in there can help this. Something that won't make them as bored XD or if you do changing them around a bit. It can be very exciting for your Betta. :D

Another cause could be stress - have you just brought them? Or moved tank? Or have loud children around etc? That could be a cause. Try reducing any loud, sharp or constant noises and children that may be banging on his tank/bowl. If he is new, chances are (if he's store brought) he's probably really traumatized. Feed him well and keep his tank clean and it should help.

Other than that, some Betta just do it and there's not much you can do but keep treating his tails.

Best of luck :)
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #3 
CharStarr

Thank you! We think that because his light went out and he was without for a few days that may have stressed him out. He only started doing this once his light died.
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:34 AM   #4 
moonsand0wls

It's alright :) It may be that - I know my Rescue Betta Girl get's stressed when I turn hers out! (I'm preserving the bulbs lol) And she clamps her fins.
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #5 
Eggbert

Does bettafix have tea tree oil in it? I think it does.. therefore DON'T USE IT! It will suffocate a betta. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the Bettafix.
Effective water changes will heal fins and some stress coat.
Eggbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #6 
sainthogan

Bettafix does contain Melueca (sp?) which is a form of tea tree oil, which can coat the Labyrinth lung on the Betta, although the company insists that deaths resulting from the use of Bettafix are because the fish either didn't need the bettafix or it was used incorrectly. They maintain that bettafix is not harmful if used correctly and only used for what it's supposed to be used for. (I emailed the company and got a very lengthy reply on this)
So, to be on the safe side, I would not use it to repair his fins, especially since it sounds like it's fin biting and not fin rot. Warm, clean water (frequent water changes), are the best thing to heal this.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote