Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #1 
psyduck

10 gallon sorority tank

Is it a yes or a no? I've heard both. If I do give it ago I'll heavily plant it with plenty of hiding spaces, but I really am not sure I want to risk it.
psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

It all depends on the fish. I've had 3-4 in a 10g with little to no problems, or at least nothing more than chasing & nipping onoccasion. When I had 5 little ones in a 10g there was even less aggression even as they grew up. Now I have 9 in a 46g.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #3 
whatsupyall

In short, yes. Many others on this forum have done so with no problem. You might want to watch when you are adding more females as it probably will reset the hierarchy statuses. I even included a male in one of my sorority tanks, and it's still fine. Keep in mind each male is different, some are more aggressive than others. Good luck.

P.S. GOTTA CATCH'EM ALL, GOTTA CATCH'EM ALL, POKEMON! Loved that childhood show!

P.S. Dang it! Shellieca you beat me to it again lol.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #4 
psyduck

I've had someone, well, actually a few, tell me that I need at least 5 females to form a successful sorority. Is this true? I assume not since you had 3-4 in a tank just fine.

Thank you a lot whatsupyall! I really want to give it a go.

EDIT: And yes, Pokemone is still THE show all these years later ;)
Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

If you're going with 4 adding one more wouldn't be a big deal. I found with a 10g that I had better results if they were added at the same time. BUT the last time I bought 5 & put them into a QT 10g before adding them to my 46g 2 of the girls fought like I'd never seen females do before. I took one out & floated her in an opaque dish for a few hours then added her back, they had a stand off but then settled in with no further problems. I just recently added 2 more girls to my 46g & the one new girl is chasing all the other ones & she's 1/2 their size, it appears she is now the one in charge.you just have to watch & be prepared to take action if need be. IME there will always be some chasing maybe a little nipping but not usually anything more serious.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #6 
Option

It's worth the risk in my opinion. You'll love watching their social interactions and the heirachy that is formed and overthrown and back & forth.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:02 AM   #7 
psyduck

Thank you all for your input. I'll think on the sorority, but at the moment, honestly, I'm leaning towards one halfmoon male in a 10 gallon tank. I'm sure he'd be plenty happy.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

I know what you mean. I currently have 3 10g tanks set up each with a single Male & a 5.5 with a male. The boys LOVE all the space.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #9 
Xeek

I would divide that and have 2 males or put 1 king betta in that.
I have a sorority of 4 girls that's doing well; though I plan on adding 3 more this weekend when they're dont in the QT tanks.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote