Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #1 
MrNighttime

Help...what to do with aquarium decorations after a fish has passed

So, my buddy Pickle died today and my fiance has said I should go get another betta.

Pickle's tank had several things in it as far as silk and plastics plants, rocks, statuary and such. Not to mention the heater and filter. How can I clean these things so that I can ensure that anything Pickle may have had or did have won't affect a new fish? I even worry about the tank itself? Starting over from scratch seems a waste of decor and money and frankly I can't afford to get too nuts anymore.

Someone suggested cleaning everything with peroxide and then rinsing it off thouroghly, but that seems sketchy to me. I know bleach (another suggestion) is out.So what can I do? Is starting over with a new tank the best way to go?

Just sort of lost here as it was his tank for 2 years and not sure what lingers and waht doesnt. Sorry for sounding stupid.
MrNighttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:54 AM   #2 
Gryphon

Do you know what he died from? If there was no disease, I think letting the decor and tank dry out naturally will kill any buggers that you don't want in there. If the tank was/is cycled, I know some people just let it run dark (no lights) and a higher temp for a couple weeks just to make sure there isn't anything in there that might harm the new fish without crashing the cycle.

If you are wanting to strip the tank, I am a big fan of white vinegar. It cleans like crazy and leaves no residue. Just make sure to rinse multiple times.

Hope this helps a little bit. I'm sure someone else will have more suggestions as well.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:07 AM   #3 
MrNighttime

He had a spot of fungus...his second affliction of it in his life....and I was treating him for it. He was active and eating this morning and then tonight he was gone.

The spot of fungus is why I worry.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:18 AM   #4 
sunstar93

Earlier this week I had to tear down my 3 gallon because my little rescue female died (I think it was from high ammonia levels). I basically took everything apart, put it in a bucket, stuck it (the bucket and the tank itself) in the shower and turned the hot water on all the way so it was screaming hot. I let it soak in the hot water for a good 30 minutes and then swished it around, dumped it out and repeated a couple of times. (I was afraid to use bleach and didn't have access to vinegar). I let everything air dry and then put it back in the tank after everything was completely dry and let it run with clean dechlorinated water. I cranked up the heater and also replaced the filter cartridge in case anything was hiding in there (I also soaked the filter and heater). You could definitely try Gryphon's vinegar method! Not sure if mine is a conventional way to do it but I feel that now it is safe and ready for a new little guy now. So sorry about Pickle :(
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #5 
MrNighttime

Thanks.