Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2012, 02:30 AM   #1 
SparklE fin

Walmart betta

I was at Walmart, just looking at the bettas when I saw this one betta. He was chocolate brown and he had finrot so bad they labeled him as a crowntail. And he was in a pile of flith. I had to say, this guy was the one. That one fish you keep coming back to when you put him down. I had to get this dude, even thought it was really wrong to.

I got him home and put him (still in his cup) in my spare 5 gallon and within seconds he perked up. After the grueling acclimation process I let him go. I had to name him Neliel. Pretty name, eh?

Weelllpp I just had a few questions. His fins are messed up. He has finrot with black at the end of his tail, tail curling, and it looks like someone tried to get him with a net but crushed his tail a bit. Do you think his tail will heal? Also, he is tiny, his body is an inch or so and he has small eyes, but he has a tail of an adult and his pectoral fins are big too. Anything weird here?*

Other than that, he looks perfect. He is curious and glaring at poor Aki across the room and he doesn't stop moving. Right now, his color is getting richer. The tank is at 80* ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10ppm.*

Ps when I was speaking in past tense I meant a few hours ago ;). And for Christmas, Aki is getting a 450 gallon pond!!
SparklE fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:59 AM   #2 
aemaki09

Nope nothing weird about having the fina of an adult. I have a double tail that is about 3/4" and has the fins of an adult too, they get them fast!
And as for the fin rot, try AQ salt if you haven't already. 1-3tsp/gallon, predissolved, and change the water everyday, replacing only the Amt of salt you removed. Keep at it for 10 days and Take at least a 10 day break, if that doesn't help you may need something stronger.

Good luck with him! It's hard not to rescue some of the fish they have there! I have to stay as far away from their betta's as possible otherwise I'd be taking most of them home to rescue, but then I'd be supporting Walmart ad they would just keep doing it
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:51 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

Nothing wrong with helping a poor walmart fishie Although there are amny that will say otherwise...

Anyways, the best thing for him is clean, warm water and maybe some AQ salt like the other poster said. Stress coat will help with the fins and they will regrow but might not be 100% normal looking.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #4 
Freyja
Banned

My DT HM is small as well, also about 3/4" with a very adult tail.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #5 
SparklE fin

If he's fins heal before the 10 day period, do I still have go through with the AQ salt or can I just stop it?
SparklE fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #6 
aemaki09

You can stop it whenever you want. 10 days is the max, there's no minimum
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote