Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #1 
Luxavior

Another bad idea

A friend of mine on facebook shared this kickstarter link and it instantly set me off

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...sh-tank-that-g

If you look at the betta fish in the background while the camera is focused on the guys talking, you can see it searching for surface air.
Luxavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #2 
shellieca

Well I must be seeing something different because all the "tanks" appear to have a gap for the Betta to get air. What I don't like is if they're saying the fish won't need to be fed because of the plant roots will be their food.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #3 
Luxavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Well I must be seeing something different because all the "tanks" appear to have a gap for the Betta to get air. What I don't like is if they're saying the fish won't need to be fed because of the plant roots will be their food.
In the video I see a solid plastic gap between where the betta is hanging at the top and where the tray of plants are.
For one brief shot in the video there IS a gap in the water for surface air, but for every other view it looks like its completely full.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #4 
aemaki09

honestly i think that the air gap is just covered by plastic, because their sketches show a gap?

and in the pictures under the video it shows a hole for where you feed your fish, so its not as bad as the betta vase IMO but not something i'd ever recommend to anyone

Last edited by aemaki09; 11-20-2012 at 11:08 PM.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #5 
Luxavior

One of the other issues is the lack of a heater, or a place to put one with room for the cord to come out.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #6 
Bsalem05

if you scroll down.. some of the pics of the tank have gaps..
Bsalem05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #7 
Bsalem05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxavior View Post
One of the other issues is the lack of a heater, or a place to put one with room for the cord to come out.
could the heater cord be snaked into where the feeding "hatch" is??
Bsalem05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #8 
kfryman

Why is this so bad? Is a 2.5 gallon bad as well? Just because it isn't an actual aquarium doesn't make it bad. They have thought it out. The only thing I would say is to clean the gravel every so often, since a build up of solids can make the pH drop.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #9 
Luxavior

I would think some of the tanks have gaps simply because it has been in use for awhile, so some water may have evaporated at the time of those photos.

In their kickstarter video, there is clearly no gap in all shots of the actual tank except one or two brief scenes where you can see the water's surface bubbling because it has been lowered from possible evaporation.

I suppose its possible to feed a heater cord through the feeding hole, but I think that would subtract from the aesthetics of the product.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #10 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Why is this so bad? Is a 2.5 gallon bad as well? Just because it isn't an actual aquarium doesn't make it bad. They have thought it out. The only thing I would say is to clean the gravel every so often, since a build up of solids can make the pH drop.

i dont think it is bad, I just wouldnt reccommend it because of the directions that come with it. I actually think it is a great idea, but only for people that know what they are doing with fish.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote