Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #1 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Computer questions ....

...from an old computer illiterate.

How do I establish a "home page" of my own choosing? The page my browser now opens to by default is not the one I would like.

My connection falls off (crashes?), without warning, whenever I'm not actually loading material (sometimes, even when I am), every 15/20 minutes to an hour or more. My ISP records these as voluntary customer signoffs and disclaims any responsibility. How can I stop this?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #2 
DiiQue

What browser are you using?

As to the ISP disconnects, if your ISP says they cannot find anything wrong on their end, try to update your network adapter drivers. If you have an intel based network/wireless card, they have a tool on their site that automatically finds the most updated driver for your device. I had a similar problem with my computer until I recently updated the wireless drivers and so far have not experienced anymore disconnects after the update.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #3 
DiiQue

In Firefox - click on the FireFox menu (upper left) and chose OPTIONS. In the GENERAL tab, you'll see the home page field.

In Chrome - Click the button with the three horizontal lines, located to the right of the address bar. Go to SETTINGS and then go to ON STARTUP -> OPEN A SPECIFIC PAGE OR SET OF PAGES.

In Internet Explorer - click on the button with a picture of a gear (located on the upper right) and select INTERNET OPTIONS. In the GENERAL tab modify the HOME PAGE field as you see fit.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Thanks, DiiQue. I should have said I have Firefox. Would have saved you some typing.

I'm sure I don't have a wireless card of any kind. The computer is seven years old and running on a 44kps dialup. We're out in the boonies; can't get broadband, wifi or (affordable) satellite.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #5 
DiiQue

Oh okay, do you have call waiting by any chance? If you do, you need to disable it by putting *70, (include the comma, as this will put a pause in the dial) in front of the dial-in number.

Do you have anything else connected to that line which may interfere with the modem... Other than that, you may just have a bad modem... Can you give me the make and manufacturer?

Last edited by DiiQue; 11-22-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #6 
DiiQue

See if your hang up on idle time is set to NEVER.

Right mouse on the connection / properties / options tab

Change idle time before hanging up to never. Then OK. Then dial (you'll have to redial for this to take effect).

Its on 20 mins by default (and will hang up), if youre not using anything after 20 mins

If it is downloading an update, idle time before hangup should not affect it unless the download stopped for 20 mins in which case it is likely to be a problem with the site itself.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Thaks, DiiQue. I should have said what browser. Would have saved you some typing.

Thanks for the homepage setup advice. I can do it...but I can't seem to find the page I want, the one I used to have <sigh>

I'm sure I don't have anything like a wireless card. This old crate is seven years-old and running on a 44kps (or less) dialup. We're out in the boonies with no broadband, wireless or (affordable) satellite.

Can't watch Utube, takes forever for pics to load, "connection timed out" is a frequent feature.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:51 PM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiQue View Post
See if your hang up on idle time is set to NEVER.

Right mouse on the connection / properties / options tab

Change idle time before hanging up to never. Then OK. Then dial (you'll have to redial for this to take effect).

Its on 20 mins by default (and will hang up), if youre not using anything after 20 mins

If it is downloading an update, idle time before hangup should not affect it unless the download stopped for 20 mins in which case it is likely to be a problem with the site itself.
Right. That's what I'd like to do. Where is the "connection" you refer to when you say "connection/properties/options"?
Old 11-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #9 
DiiQue

Bear with me as I'm doing this from memory... Assuming you have Windows XP:

From the Start menu, choose Control Panel. Click the Network and Internet Connections option, then choose Network Connections. If the Control Panel is in Classic View, double click the Network Connections icon.

Right click your Dialup Connection and choose Properties. Then go to the Options tab and you should see the setting there.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Thanks DiiQue. I knew about that setting a long time ago and had forgotten. It was set to 24 hours, so I never thought it might be the problem.

I've been online since 1995, but I will forever be a puter newb.Thank you so much. You computer guys are amazing.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." ~ A.C. Clarke

(Quoted, correctly, from memory.) ;-}