Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #31 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar981 View Post
So.... i got home and started noticing my fish is having trouble swimming throughout the tank. He tries to go downward, but then immediately floats. :( I tried doing a quick search and came across swim bladder. Does this sound accurate? Has anyone else experienced this, and what do I do? checked water conditions and everything is normal. Temp is fine. Steady at 79. What do I do?
It could be the amount of food you're feeding him, though I'm no expert, fairly new here too. Betta tummies are small though.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #32 
DragonFish

Oh no! Poor little guy....D:

Does he appear bloated at all? Could you maybe post a couple of pictures or a video?
Its strange that he would have swim bladder all of a sudden, did you feed him an extra pellet or two(I know I sometimes drop a couple extra pellets in by accident)? Have you fed him any other foods recently?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #33 
Syriiven

This is a link to the sticky thread I've been visiting frequently to read up on their more common illnesses and diseases - not that I think your guy has a serious problem yet!

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73333

Also, I think he's a very pretty fish, with a quiet and friendly personality from what I've been reading :) You've given him a wonderful home, so maybe just a pellet or two less?
Old 11-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #34 
stellar981

Thanks for your responses! I'm sorry I haven't responded again til now. I actually thought about it after and realized i should have posted in the diseases section, so I did... and i've been responding to that. Actually... i went out and got some epsom salt, per recommendation. Got the small tank all set up for him... and when I went to get him ready to move, i noticed - no more floating. He must have pooped cuz he's back to normal! What a scare though, Im so new at this. Someone said i am likely feeding him too much. So I am going to be doing 2 pellets twice a day. He is a little guy, so I likely overfed him :( I learned my lesson!!
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #35 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyjo View Post
My mini bows are lasting forever. I don't use the filter that comes with them tho - I replace with one I like better. Same with the light bulb. But the tanks are nice looking and hold up very well. Whoever said they don't last long must be beating the heck out of it.

A 5g minibow runs $50-$60 altho you can sometimes find them on sale for a few dollars cheaper.
Hi, thank you for your input about the mini bows. I think that'll be what ill get. But with my own filter choice and a different light bulb as you said. What did you put in instead? An LED? I dont want the lightbulb over heating the water.
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #36 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar981 View Post
Thanks for your responses! I'm sorry I haven't responded again til now. I actually thought about it after and realized i should have posted in the diseases section, so I did... and i've been responding to that. Actually... i went out and got some epsom salt, per recommendation. Got the small tank all set up for him... and when I went to get him ready to move, i noticed - no more floating. He must have pooped cuz he's back to normal! What a scare though, Im so new at this. Someone said i am likely feeding him too much. So I am going to be doing 2 pellets twice a day. He is a little guy, so I likely overfed him :( I learned my lesson!!
Glad he's doing okay =) I think I fed my guy one pellet too many today too >.< he a little bloated and nose-diving the substrate, gah! But now I know, only 2 pellets for him. And a bloodworm every once in a while.

But really glad your guy's doing better =)

I've heard that having a 'betta-first-aid' kit helps, reading up on some basics you need for almost all the disease, like the aq and epsom salts and some of the medications. That's my plan once I can get to the city.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #37 
Wendyjo

I use mini spiral bulbs- anywhere between 5 watt and 13 watt works although I prefer the lower wattage cause they are smaller and fit under the bulb shield better. They raise the temp just a degree or two. You can get them anywhere these days - Target, Walmart, drug stores, home improvement stores, grocery stores. Be sure you get the ones with the wide base and not the skinny candelabra base (the metal part that screws in). Basically the base should look the same as a regular lightbulb.

http://www.blocklighting.com/p-51696...FY-d4AodWy0A-g
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #38 
DragonFish

Ahh, I didn't notice you're other thread! I've been checking back for your response here every once in a while......I'm not too active on the forum in the evenings. xD;

Glad to hear hes recovered! It does sound like he probably just had one too many pellets, especially if he is a tiny little guy! He certainly doesn't look that small, looking back. xD
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote