Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #1 
carbonxxkidd

My betta is sick and I don't know what to do!

I have had my betta for over 2 years, and he has always been very active and healthy. I had him in a 3 gallon tank and just moved him to a 5 gallon today. For the past few months he has been very lethargic and laying on the bottom of the tank on his side. It seems like he has trouble swimming, but he has still been eating a little bit. For lack of a better description, the main thing that looks wrong with him is his anus - it has turned black and looks like it is rotting. I added a little epsom salt (1/2 tsp) when I put him in the new tank today and am not sure what else I can do for him. I just don't have the heart to give up just yet. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

These are the best photos I can get right now.

Last edited by carbonxxkidd; 10-29-2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Added photos
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #2 
carbonxxkidd

Housing
What size is your tank? 5gal
What temperature is your tank? room temperature, currently 70F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqua Culture Betta Pellet Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Bi-Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? He was in a 3 gallon tank before today and I always did 100% changes
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqua Safe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Looks to have dark "rot" near anus, seems on the thin side
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, swimming funny, lays on side
When did you start noticing the symptoms? It's been a while, a month or so, I just thought he was getting old at first, didn't notice the rot
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Added 1/2tsp epsom salt to water today
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for over 2 years
Old 10-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #3 
Tikibirds

Oh dear..

It looks like his sales and fin are dying pr something burnt him.

Did the black part happen really quickly? There is "something" that has been known to attack bettas with rapid dying of the fins and body but it has only been reported in blue bettas.

The salt - when you added it, was his fins already black?
PS - his anus is actually by his head not the tail.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #4 
carbonxxkidd

Oh right, haha I guess in between anal/caudal fins would have been a better description. Anyway, yes, he's had the black for almost as long as he's been acting weird. I just added the salt today when I put him in his new tank. 1/2tsp to 5 gallons, so not very much. Something I just noticed - it almost looks like there are bones sticking out from the rot...is that possible? :(

Is it treatable? Is it contagious? Should I euthanize him? Poor guy, I feel so bad.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

It does look like what happened to my poor Venom a year and a half ago :( The weird thing that happens to blue bettas. I have no advice, one of my girls looked like this and I euth'd her :( Even though I could have tried treatments, she was miserable and I couldn't let it go on any further. I'm so sorry this is happening, he's a beautiful boy!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I wish I could help more I just dont know, but AQ salt would be better right now instead of espom salt. Did he have any fin rot before this started ? It could be advanced fin rot that is now getting to his body. Good luck I think it is treatable with the AQ salt and extra clean water for now until someone else comes along that knows more what to do. I sure feel bad for you and him both, hang in there !!!
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

I'm so sorry, there isn't a cure for this disease yet. :/ I need to contact Sakura.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #8 
DoctorWhoLuver

Aww... I thought it only happened to blue bettas...
But it looks like he has fin melt at the same time.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #9 
Luimeril

:I the disease you all are talking about doesn't ONLY attack BLUE bettas. there's NOTHING different between blues and other colors, other than that. the color.

Sakura is the best person to contact, but it looks like it's already reached the body... it'd need some SUPER strong medications....
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:54 AM   #10 
Aqua Betta

Carbonxxkid,

I hope you were able to contact Sakura8 - she really helped me with my BeBe when he was sick. Sakura is excellent with emergencies.

I'm sorry that I don't have any advice, since I am a new Betta owner. I can only offer encouragement for you to not give up. Good luck.
Aqua Betta is offline   Reply With Quote