Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #1 
vivien

new betta wont eat

okay so i have a 12l (3.2gallon) tank with a halfmoon betta and a little albino corydora(i plan on upgrading the tank when he gets bigger) the water conditions are perfect:
ph=6.8
ammonia=0
hardmess= approx 107-125
temp=25degC
ive conditioned the water, done water changes, the tank was set up for 2 weeks before the fish came and ive used bio booster.
ive had them for 3 days, the betta has eaten a tiny amount (3 pellots in one sitting once)
and i dont think the cory has eaten anything. im really worried my last betta died becuase ididnt know enough about the water.

is this normal?
vivien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #2 
shellieca

The tank is too small for 2 fish, you have to look at what size tank they require as an adult. Is your Betta picking on the Cory? What are you feeding the Cory?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #3 
vivien

thats why im going to upgrade it.no they are doing fine, they look very healthy the betta is swimming around like normal, and the cory is very energetic swimming around like crazy sometimes. im feeding the cory sinking algea pellets, i want to buy them both a new type of food but cannot until tomorrow
Old 11-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #4 
vivien

also what tank size would you reccomend?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #5 
shellieca

I don't have Cory's but from what I've read they should be in a school of at least 4 preferably more & minimum tank size is a 20g. Your Betta may be eating the Cory's food, I know all of my Bettas eat anything & everything I drop into the tanks.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #6 
vivien

ive been watching and it doesnt lokk like either of them have been eating the pellets, im going to see how my cory goes on his own and maybe add in a few more, he seems okay though, and im not keen on worring about them breeding.i might set up my old lizrad tank (2.5 x1 x 1 feet) if i can find somewhere to put it but cause i really wanted a betta because they are so beautifful i thought it would be too empty with only a betta and a few corries but maybe ill add something else later. thanks for all the help!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #7 
Hidden Walrus

I agree the current setup isn't ideal but regardless, I've never had a brand new betta eat the first few days. In fact, I do not even attempt to feed any new guys anymore until the third day, but some won't eat until the fifth. I think they just need to get used to their environment.
Hidden Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #8 
vivien

ahh okay thats good to hear, but ive already started cleaning out the old reptile tank but its going to take a while to make sure its okay for fish, and even then a few weeks until they can go in.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #9 
Wendyjo

Yes, cories are schooling fish and need to be in groups to thrive - albinos get pretty big so a school of 6 would need about a 10 gallon tank.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #10 
vivien

well my old reptile tank is roughly 18 gallon, im leaving it full for a few days to ensure its sealed, so hopefully in 2-3 weeks they will in a better home, and i can get my cory some friends, will adding more corries cause a problem, cause they will have lived together for a while and the albino is not part of their group?