Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2012, 12:45 AM   #1 
Keshia

Exclamation Help!!!!!!!!

Hi All

Im new not only to the sight but to being a betta owner!!! Love every second of it!! I have had a tropical tank for about a year now, but never owned a betta. This weekend my partner and I went to a pet shop and she insisted on getting a fighter for the first time. So knowing how temperamental they are we bought a whole new starter kit for our fighter. But the problem is i have no idea if we have got the right things for him. We got a 15 liter bowl with one live plant and one fake plant and a little cave. We got betta pellets to. His is the only one in the bowl so he has the space and the temp is about 25 degrees c. The thing is he doesn't move much he just "hangs out" is that normal? he doesn't really eat and he hides a lot in the plants? Could anyone help with some advise? we wanted to get a partner for him but we are not wanting to breed as we wont know what to do lol. just want to get to know him first.

Im just so worried we stressing him out PLEASE HELP!!!
Keshia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #2 
aemaki09

Your set up sounds fine, I had to look at a conversion calculator online to really know what your temp and bowl/tank size were...but thats all good.
As for how he is acting. He should be fine, It takes them a few days to adjust to new surroundings. But it honestly doesnt sound like anything out of the ordinary, some betta's are just lazy and like to hang out, some have such large of fins that it makes them hard to swim around much, and some like to hide.
Plus going from a cup, to a 15 liter bowl/tank is a BIG change. I'd just keep an eye on him, if he doesnt seem to perk up in a few days or doesnt eat by like the 3rd day of you having him, then I'd check back
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 AM   #3 
aemaki09

oh and with the plant, if it is plastic you will need to check if it has rough edges on them as they may tear fins, Silk is preferable. And they do like having hiding spots so I'd think about adding a few more
Old 11-21-2012, 01:20 AM   #4 
Keshia

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
oh and with the plant, if it is plastic you will need to check if it has rough edges on them as they may tear fins, Silk is preferable. And they do like having hiding spots so I'd think about adding a few more
Thanks so much. Yes I got a very soft plant almost rubber like< and he spends most of his time in there or in his cave. It is day three and he still has not really eaten yet and its worrying me. Is there any other food besides the pellets that they like? Ive got Daphnia, flakes, finer pellets? or should i try live food?
Old 11-21-2012, 01:28 AM   #5 
Kevron56

Just curious, (please do b offended by this question) How was he acclimated to the new bowl?
Kevron56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:11 AM   #6 
aemaki09

Try bloodworms if you can get them. You can also try soaking his pellets in garlic juice they love garlic. Daphnia is fine too, and if you can get live foods try them for sure. Frozen also is okay. Goodluck! Sounds like he is still getting used to the new place, but if he won't eat live foods then I'd start to really worry. Can you post a pic of him? And go anymore in depth on his behavior?

Also, He should have a varied diet, whatever you can get him to eat for right now is fine...but once he starts acting normal you should try to get him to eat different things. Pellets should be the main staple with live and frozen foods as treats once or twice a week.

Last edited by aemaki09; 11-21-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:19 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

It can take them a few days or so to get used to their new home. I wouldn't worry just yet.
3 gallons is a good size. I find that they like to have lots of plants and at least one that reaches the surface. real or plastic, dosen't matter. At night you will find then tangled up in the plant near the top. it so cute.

I dont know if they have them where u are but the TETRA water wonders plants - the one that looks like Cabomba (if U now what that plant looks like) works well for this. Its pretty soft plastic and will float if you remove the bottom part.

This is what I have floating in some tanks. I just remove the part that gets anchored in the gravel. It pretty softso their fins should not get torn

Last edited by Tikibirds; 11-21-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 AM   #8 
GreyHounD

I might suggest to you to use Daphnia!

And to stimulate him to eat place a mirror for 5 minutes then feed it after then, just observe how beautiful your betta is and then it will eat^^.

Alternate the feeding of live and pellet like 2 days pellet then live.

This way is much efficient: Keep on doing live for 2 days then after then do pellet for a day, do it like that for a week then slowly shift from live to 2 days pellet and 1 day live etc.

M: Pellet
T: Pellet
W: Live
TH: Pellet
Fri: Pellet
S: Live
Su: Pellet or live( a treat if its live )

The time of feeding is just twice to maintain your water, but if your using tubifex like me what I would do is feed it only once and see if the stomach is huge or if he ignores the worms I beg to differ he would. Anyways, then fast him a day if your feeding tubifex to help digestion.
GreyHounD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 AM   #9 
Kevron56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevron56 View Post
Just curious, (please do b offended by this question) How was he acclimated to the new bowl?
Sorry that "do" was supposed to be "DON'T" I'm sorry....
Kevron56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:38 AM   #10 
Keshia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevron56 View Post
I left him bobbing in the bag in the bowls water for 20 min then let him into the bowl? was that right?