Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #1 
Neight

Air Pump Silencing

I bought Nero a three gallon Tetra bubling LED kit today. I obviously don't have the bubbler and LED on all the time, but the small filter that came with it is a bubble powered filter, and the pump that came with it is very loud. I have another of this pump that is also older, larger and louder, and my quiet pump is in use with my community tank. Does anyone have suggestions for quieting this beast up, since it's right by my bed? https://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tet...0#tabs-Reviews
Neight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #2 
callistra

The tetra is loud? What one do you have that's silent? That's the quietest one I've ever had and I've used a lot..
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I tried wrapping my pump in a thick towel, putting it in a plastic shopping bag and hanging it on the wall so it doesn't touch anything.

It eliminated contact vibration, but doesn't make it silent---not even close.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #4 
Neight

I rested mine on a folded piece of fleece. It seems to have done the trick, but if the vibrations move it just a fraction of an inch, there it goes again! @Callistra, I'll have to check. It came second hand with my ten gallons, and it's fairly old by the look of it.
EDIT: It's an older model of the Hagen Elite 801, called the Elite 80. It is powerful and nearly completely silent if it's not touching something. I often forget to unplug it because I don't hear it running! I bet the newer models are even better.

Last edited by Neight; 12-09-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Added information
Neight is offline   Reply With Quote