Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #11 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphie08 View Post
Thank yall so much! The tank is cycled.... we feed him twice a day the flakes which are brown greenish....I will keep watching him and if he starts acting sick ill try epsom salt! How much epsom salt should i put in the water? will it hurt him to do it even if he doesnt have a parasite as a recaution?
I do use abit of aquarium salt in my tanks..

Epsom salt may help.. again I am sorry but I have never delt with Epsom salt treating... Though as with all medications.... try alittle bit of the Epson salt.. If it seems to be working abit them put alittle more but not too much.... I am not sure if Betta fishes are ok with Epsom salt... But I have read Blogs that they used Epsom salt to heal problems with their Betta fish...

So if you feel like it is the best thing to do then try it out... GOODLUCK
JikoJiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #12 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Epsom salt is fine with bettas but not for long term. Just add a tsp or so per gallon of Epsom salt if you go with that...
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #13 
ANHEL123

Epsom salt for buoyancy problem, sbd, it also helps to purge parasites out, clean digestive system. But if he don't have problem to poop and if he is not bloated you don't need to use right now.If he will become bloated it one of the symptoms for internal parasites. Epsom salt will not hurt the betta and can be used for really long time, and some times even indefinitely with fish that has chronic sbd.
So see his next poo . Bettas poo will be the color the food you feed them, but the food was not white. I think he might have internal parasites so just watch next poo and if it white, clear,stringy,wormy shape i would treat him. But epsom salt along will help but will not treat internal parasites. So if you can just have medications in case you need it. And i do not recommend to buy TetraTetra Parasite Guard . It has a few ingredients that are not fish friendly. I think someone once said diflubenzeron was even used in lawn fertilizer. If the dose was just a little off, it's possible the medications burned him.
Epsom salt you can use 1tsp/gall up to 3tsp/gall with daily 100% water changes. You need to pre mix it and make sure it dissolved first. And every time that you change him introduce him slowly to the new water, by adding a little bit in his changing cup (2-3 times) and let him acclimate for about 4-5 min in between.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #14 
sainthogan

White stringy poo is usually associated with internal parasites. Epsom salts will help this.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #15 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphie08 View Post
My betta fish had a white string like thing hanging under his head. It is sorta brown at the top but mostly white. It keeps getting longer. I dont know what it is? Or what to do to help him?
hAVE you ever tried soaking your Betta fishes food into crushed up fresh garlic??? This is suppose to help with eliminating parasites and worms, increase healing of wounds (in or out) of organs, and boost its immune system.

Try it.. I personally haven't tried it.. But I will tomorrow... Just read all about it...
JikoJiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #16 
Tikibirds

Jungle has medicated anti parasite fish food but bettas usually will not eat it.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #17 
ANHEL123

I completely forget about garlic juice. Yes it very good idea. And i just ask Sakura . She is one of the very knowledgeable people on the forum. So she wrote : ''It's always best to go with a conservative method before bringing in meds. If the fish will eat, then the combination of epsom salts and eating may be enough to expel any internal parasites.
Well unless he getting worse then sure medications + epsom
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote