Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #1 
JikoJiko

Post Gender and type of Classification... What are they?

Hello... These are my Juvenile Betta's... they are a little over 4 months... I believe most of these pictures of them are females... But I don't know If I am positive that one of them are.... My two males out of the batch immediately showed male dominance... while these are the ones that didn't and they looked dull.. so I guessed they were females and separated them out... into their own little containers. I need help on what type of Betta they are and If male or female.. I can't really see any White spot under them because they are very dull and whitish in color.. one of the other females are very dark and I can see her white spot... so I knew she was a female... and I can also tell most from tail, ventral fin structure...

>> They all came from these parents...

>> This one sometimes fools me.. I keep thinking it is a female.... though what if it is a male

>> This female is a sibling of the one above.. I am pretty sure this is a female.. Though would it be classified as a PLAKAT or VEILTAIL???

>> This is the another Sibling Female.... I Think this girl is a Veil tail...

>> Then another Sibling.. I believe its a MALE... could be a female... And what would it be Classified...??? Looks to me as a PLAKAT...

JikoJiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #2 
MistersMom

well neither of the parents are PK i doubt their babies will be lol. and they all look like females right now, especially htose last 2, but the top 2, idk, they don't seem to be done growing just yet::. I'd give them more time before i try to sex them, a good way to tell is to get them to flare! beard-male no beard-female, or look for an eggspot on the tummy.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #3 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
well neither of the parents are PK i doubt their babies will be lol. and they all look like females right now, especially htose last 2, but the top 2, idk, they don't seem to be done growing just yet::. I'd give them more time before i try to sex them, a good way to tell is to get them to flare! beard-male no beard-female, or look for an eggspot on the tummy.
Well that does make sense...

Though one of the males that I separated into his tank looks just as a PK..... But yeh.. I still waiting for them to grow... Its hard to get these females or males (what ever they are) to flare now after like 4 weeks of them in there with the others.. they seemed to have gotten tired of flaring each other and now focusing mostly on food when ever I feed them and such... From time to time I see them flare but usually the larger females in the tank that are not in a container stops the fight because they come into the picture... lol
Old 11-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #4 
Wendyjo

The top 2 look like eggy females to me.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #5 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyjo View Post
The top 2 look like eggy females to me.
Hello.. what do you mean by "eggy females" the first two pictures are a female and a male...
Old 11-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #6 
Wendyjo

Not the parents - the first 2 juvies you were asking about!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #7 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Not the parents - the first 2 juvies you were asking about!
eggy? like they have eggs?

If so then prob not yet.. I fed them about an hour before I took this photo.. lol..

They are skinny if I dont feed them... the eggy one is the adult female (the mother of them all) lol
Old 11-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #8 
Wendyjo

Oh OK - they must have eaten alot!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #9 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Oh OK - they must have eaten alot!
lol.. yeh.. I fed them alot in the afternoon because I wont be feeding them anymore... so I only feed them once...

I know I know... someone might say I am feeding them wrong... but they are not dead or diseased.. so I am thankful for that...

Also I only feed them once because they are in a small container in a 20 gallon long aquarium...

I feed all my fishes once... because I do not want to over feed them to the point of them getting problems with digesting and such....

Also because they are still growing...