Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #11 
Wendyjo

That's a very bad design then because the majority of the bacteria is housed in the filter media. Most people find a work around no matter what type of filter they have - wonder if you could do the same?
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #12 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Live plants will help.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyjo View Post
You shouldn't replace the filter at all - just rinse if off in old tank water or clean dechlored water.
Your supposed to replace filter media the activated carbon has to b replaced.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #14 
TheMCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyjo View Post
That's a very bad design then because the majority of the bacteria is housed in the filter media. Most people find a work around no matter what type of filter they have - wonder if you could do the same?
The filter media on a lot of smaller aquariums is a cartridge, made to be disposable. In the "bio wheel" style I used to use, the water was pulled up by the pump and was merely sloshed across the filter media before hitting the bio wheel and being returned to the tank. On the Fluval Chi, the filter media consists of a flat square pad that you replace monthly. If you try to rinse it out and put it back, what happens is that it works for a while, but then clogs again... repeat, but shorter... and shorter... until eventually it's no good.

There's a sponge-like layer that goes behind the filter media to maintain bacteria, separately from the filter media. You replace that layer every three months (or more - basically when it needs it), *not* when you're doing a filter media change. So, there's always something to maintain the bacteria for you.

All of that said, when I had my bio wheel system i'd just remove, dispose, and replace the filter cartridge once a month, and it was fine, it did not start the tank cycling again or anything like that.
TheMCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My filter has a plastic tunnel high on the end. It has a sponge. I have been meaning to replace the filter media in both my tanks.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #16 
Juicebox

thanks for the repliesguys,gonna keep changing the water,im lookin around sites to order some plants,once i find a good price and good plants ill order a bunch and im transforming my tank into a npt,better to do now i figure before my tank is cycled,

did another water change last night a 50 percent and the ammonia went down, ill testagain today when i get out of bed and see what happens
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #17 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If there is ever a tint to the water replace the filter cartridge or add new activated carbon.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #18 
Juicebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
If there is ever a tint to the water replace the filter cartridge or add new activated carbon.
whenever i buy a new insert for my filter im goin to cut open the filter pad and take the carbon out,as im doin a npt i dont want the carbon in there as i keep reading that it will suck the nutrients out of the water and can starve the plants,ill just use the white filter pads in the filter,then after a few months ill take out the filter completely and let nature take over
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #19 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have Carbon in my planted tanks.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #20 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Right, Juicebox. That's the way to handle filter media.

As regards API Quickstart. API does not identify the type(s) of nitifying bacteria they use. I'm not impressed with "Patented" bacteria. The idea of it's having a long shelf-life and not requiring refrigeration suggests that it contains heterotrophic bacteria, which is orders of magnitude less effective than the autotrophic bacteria that actually processes ammonia/nitrite.

Nitrosomonas and nitrospira are the bacteria that we try to cultivate. (They are present in the air---that's why a tank will cycle by itself, given enough time and oxygen.) A product containing those bacteria has a shorter shelf-life and should be refigerated (ont frozen). A company should be proud to specify that their product contains these live bacteria.

These companies do:
--Tetra Safestart
--MicrobeLift NiteOut 2
--ATM Colony
--TLC SmartStart
--Dr Tim's One-and-Only (shipped insulated from Dr Tim's)*
--Others that I can't recall right now.

Products which do not include autotrophic bacteria:

--Nutrafin Cycle
--Seachem Stability
--Other heterotrophics that slip my mind.

Here's a great treatise by professional aquarist Carl Strohmeyer: That explains the difference:
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle and cycling. Methods for ammonia, nitrite removal.

*Dr Tim Hovanek marketed BioSpira,the first "Bacteria in a bottle," back in the 70s. He received his doctorate for the research leading to this.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote