Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #41 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Yours are female from what Indigo said.
Oh... no.. my Betta's that I just posted their photos are male Betta's.. INDJO was talking about the youtube video that I posted and he said that the Betta in the Youtube Video was a female... because of its body... fin... etc... looks...

Then he said that to compare it to my Photos and I would know...
JikoJiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:35 AM   #42 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JikoJiko View Post
I don't even know what that really means...

Is that like how my Males spine are like alittle arch... From my photos>>>???
The top line isn't curved smoothly from tail to head. Usually under the dorsal there's a significant "bending"(?) making the betta sort of hunched back - bent spine. Slight bending, though undesired, is acceptable. But extreme bending and specially if it causes swimming issues, is unacceptable. These should not be bred as it may be genetic.

Both male and female can have bent spine. Your PK male is slightly bent, but acceptable - not enough to be considered "bent". "Bent spine" bends even more.

Over breeding DT x DT often causes these bent spine - the reason why you should breed DT to a single tail then breed the genos to get your DT.

Hope that gives you an idea.

Last edited by indjo; 11-30-2012 at 03:39 AM.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #43 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by JikoJiko View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfkf_YfRZZk

alittle Off topic... Just really curious because I might run into this situation and I would of called this a female...

This is a female Right... I am very positive that this is a female..... though the owner says its a male... I just want to know... nothing against the owner... just that can this happen... >>>??? Or can this be a male???
I honestly think it's a male.. the ventrals are too short for either male/female, they are stunted it looks like, not just the female shortness.

What makes me think male is look at the beard - females tend to have much shorter beards than what this one is displaying.

Could be wrong, but it looks like a really young male who has stunted ventrals.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #44 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
The top line isn't curved smoothly from tail to head. Usually under the dorsal there's a significant "bending"(?) making the betta sort of hunched back - bent spine. Slight bending, though undesired, is acceptable. But extreme bending and specially if it causes swimming issues, is unacceptable. These should not be bred as it may be genetic.

Both male and female can have bent spine. Your PK male is slightly bent, but acceptable - not enough to be considered "bent". "Bent spine" bends even more.

Over breeding DT x DT often causes these bent spine - the reason why you should breed DT to a single tail then breed the genos to get your DT.

I am lucky Carter does not have a spine problem.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #45 
JikoJiko

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post

That is very nice to know...

Does the bent spines come from Interbreeding too much also...? Or is it just from DT genes that are in the genome of the Betta (note: even though the Betta does not have Phenome of DT)

Or is my assumption incorrect....

I understand that DTxDT too much causes that... since you Explained that clearly.... though could there be other factors?

Perhaps me researching this myself might be interesting...
Old 11-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #46 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have read good DTs are hard to breed so I guess Inbreeding.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #47 
JikoJiko

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I honestly think it's a male.. the ventrals are too short for either male/female, they are stunted it looks like, not just the female shortness.

What makes me think male is look at the beard - females tend to have much shorter beards than what this one is displaying.

Could be wrong, but it looks like a really young male who has stunted ventrals.
Idk... I was guessing it was a female because of its physical Appearance ... the Betta's body looks like a fatty female... Idk how to explain it... but I would assume a male would have a larger shoulder placement... like it the "shoulders" would look more muscle like...

Though I was just curious .... Its not my Betta so I would not know if it turned out to be a Male.... Prob old maybe by now.. or dead... just thinking...
Old 11-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #48 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I wonder how Inbred Black Bettas are?
Old 11-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #49 
JikoJiko

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I wonder how Inbred Black Bettas are?
Guessing come out looking very close to their parents...
Old 11-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #50 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have read most female Black Bettas are sterile.