Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2012, 04:54 AM   #1 
Butterfly

Food and constipation

So I noticed that Fred had a 'ball' of excrement coming out when He was getting hikari pellets. My LFS doesn't have daphnia/blood worms/live food, only frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. I bought some omega one pellets to change it up a bit on him and that seemed to help. Until I found another 'ball' of poo in his tank :( By ball I mean it's coming out in a long string and curling up.
Are these 'rolls/balls' bad for him? Should I go get the frozen bloodworms? Or buy some freeze dried daphnia?

He's never bloated and is always active. Just something I notice sometimes(happened about two times so far) and worry about(could he get a fatal blockage?).

Thanks, from a n00b betta owner xD
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #2 
DragonFish

If what I'm picturing in my head is correct from your description....then yes, that little orange curled up ball sounds like very normal betta poo. :)
Its actually when its stringy and whiteish that you want to worry.....a 'ball' is good! xD

You could still pick up some frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp. They make great treats a couple times a week, offers even more variety. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #3 
Butterfly

oh really? xD lol I always thought it was supposed to come out in short strands not a orange curled lump.

I will pick up some bloodworms today.

What does food variety do for his diet? Does it just keep him regular(bowel movements and whatnot)?
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #4 
DragonFish

With bettas, you actually see a little of both together, the short bits/strands and the little orangey clumps.....though if you have gravel you probably won't see many/any of the little bits. xD Depending on what you feed, it can also change color a little bit....different pellets brands I've heard make for different shades of orange and brown, and I often notice after feeding bloodworms that my bettas poo the next day is a much darker color.
Generally so long as its not long and pale and stringy and your fish doesn't appear to be bloated or skinny....not to much cause for alarm. ;)

Diet variety, last I checked, has nothing really to do with regularity.....its more just nutrition, a balanced diet. A high-quality pellet has all sorts of great things in it, but adding in frozen foods(the next best thing to live)brings something a little more/different to the table that dry commercial pellets don't provide.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

The first time I saw my Betta orange poop I was scared too...lol Its normal though dont worry.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Byron says: A hungry fish is a healthy fish.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #7 
sainthogan

Blood worms make a great treat for fish who like them. I feed them 1 or 2 a few times a week as a mid-day treat and I give 4 or 5 after each water changing just to let them know I still love them. My male loves blood worms and goes crazy for them. My female... not so much, she'll eat them, but she doesn't get very excited about them. Her favorite food is my super expensive flakes that I bought just for her (my male doesn't like them). She will literally jump and attack them and practically bust through the tank when she sees them. She also only gets those as an occasional treat, usually just before a water change because they make such a mess if she doesn't eat them all. Otherwise, they both get pellets for their main meals.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote