Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #1 
Artist with a betta

Still won't eat

I don't get what I'm doing wrong. Vinny's tank stays at a constant 77 degrees its unfiltered but has a air-pump i just cleaned it last night. I've tried flakes and pellets. I've let them float and held them for him he is just completely ignoring them I'm about to break down and get blood-worms for him I don't know what to do someone please help me.
Artist with a betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #2 
DragonFish

Hmm.....how long have you had him? Has he eaten anything since you brought him home, and if so what? What brands are you feeding?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #3 
Artist with a betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Hmm.....how long have you had him? Has he eaten anything since you brought him home, and if so what? What brands are you feeding?
He's taken one tiny pellet of tereabetta pellets. i have had him for a few days now.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #4 
registereduser

be patient, he may not eat for quite awhile, maybe a week or more. But he will eventually start!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #5 
Artist with a betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
be patient, he may not eat for quite awhile, maybe a week or more. But he will eventually start!
Should I hold of on feeding for a while or keep offering like I've been doing?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #6 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist with a betta View Post
Should I hold of on feeding for a while or keep offering like I've been doing?
Offer every day but remove uneaten food.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #7 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Keep offering the pellets to him but remove them he is doesnt eat it. Hold off on the bloodworms cause if he eats those he will not want the pellets. Hang in there it can take a few days for new Bettas to start eating.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #8 
DragonFish

The problem may be the brand of pellets....Tetra Betta is a very low-quality brand, and based on the reviews I've read a lot of bettas, especially the more picky sort, will just outright refuse them. Its highly likely he got a tasted of it and hated it.

I would highly suggest picking up Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets(found at Petco and Petsmart) or New Life Spectrum Betta Forumula(found at Petco or online), NLS I'd recommend over Omega one if you can get it, and giving one or both of those a try.
And be patient! I know its hard, but don't break down and feed him any bloodworms until you can get him regularly eating a good-quality pellet!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #9 
Artist with a betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
The problem may be the brand of pellets....Tetra Betta is a very low-quality brand, and based on the reviews I've read a lot of bettas, especially the more picky sort, will just outright refuse them. Its highly likely he got a tasted of it and hated it.

I would highly suggest picking up Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets(found at Petco and Petsmart) or New Life Spectrum Betta Forumula(found at Petco or online), NLS I'd recommend over Omega one if you can get it, and giving one or both of those a try.
And be patient! I know its hard, but don't break down and feed him any bloodworms until you can get him regularly eating a good-quality pellet!
I'm going to try and call the pet store when I'm done with my classes for the day and see what food they use I kinda had a feeling this might be a factor.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #10 
Artist with a betta

I just got off the phone with the pet store the guy said they used Omega One Betta pellets and only feed them twice a week to reduce water changes. Should I get that brand and keep his old feed routine or try and get him to eat a little every day?

I'm sorry by the way I'm such a pain.