Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #11 
stellar981

thanks everyone! I got my one gallon all set up, and before i could move him I think he pooped cuz he is no longer floating!!

short video of him, what do you think? he appears to be acting much better to me! Thanks for all of your assistance, everyone!!

http://youtu.be/kFmJk5Y8tgU
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #12 
LebronTheBetta

He looks and acts normal to me. He's quite a looker. (;
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #13 
stellar981

Love ur sig. Just stopped at Walmart for something, of course for the fish. And it's the only place open :) any way, HAD to stop by their fish. Ick, poor things :(:(
Old 11-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #14 
LebronTheBetta

Thanks! :) Poor fish, being tortured by ignorant people.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #15 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Thanks! :) Poor fish, being tortured by ignorant people.
Yep! its so sad. Dont know why I even walk by. I can't save them all and it just depresses me to see them suffer. Its even worse because I recognize a couple being there last time I went.. i wish someone could take them home :(

I know I will eventually get another... but again - i cant save them all :(

ok.. so my plan after all of this. I think I will wait a whole day. And then start with 2 pellets twice a day, on friday. Or should I wait longer? I just feel like I'd be starving him :( So why do they call constipation swim bladder disease?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #16 
LebronTheBetta

:( All we can do is hope.

Yes, that seems like a good schedule. Bettas can survive a whole month without food so a day is nothing, their metabolism is very different from ours. SBD just got its name just by the symptoms, not really a disease itself. Either too much food, or a blocked system, it's just a buoyancy problem. The swim bladder keeps the fish in balance and when an end gets fat, the fish turns over.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #17 
sunlight

He is so gorgeous opaque betta. I always want one like that. I never see betta like that in any of the stores i go. I thought that i want to order one like that but always end up saving them from the store.

He looks absolutely normal though . Looks like he don't have any issues at all. May be wait on Epsom salt? He really was floating before?
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #18 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
He is so gorgeous opaque betta. I always want one like that. I never see betta like that in any of the stores i go. I thought that i want to order one like that but always end up saving them from the store.

He looks absolutely normal though . Looks like he don't have any issues at all. May be wait on Epsom salt? He really was floating before?
Oh yeah. He looked frustrated/unhappy. Kept trying to go to the bottom and uncontrollably wod float right back to the top. So wasn't swimming much. He's just stay in the corner by the thermometer. But he is acting fine now! Yeah I never used the Epsom tank I set up. I couldn't see stressing him out when he seemed fine.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #19 
sunlight

If he had that problem because he was constipated and like you wrote he pooped and got bette then hold on epsom salt. Your plan to feed him 2 pellets twice a day is fine. I do it all the time. You not going to starve him. You also can try to find in the pet store frozen daphnia. It helps a lot with constipation's and it reach in protein.You can also feed him boiled shrimp (piece- the size of the pellet). Just watch him if it happened again then you can use epsom salt. It good that you have it now in case you need it. Did you overfeed him that day? I missed the point if he was bloated and how long he didn't pooped.

Do you cycle his 10 gallons tank?
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #20 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
If he had that problem because he was constipated and like you wrote he pooped and got bette then hold on epsom salt. Your plan to feed him 2 pellets twice a day is fine. I do it all the time. You not going to starve him. You also can try to find in the pet store frozen daphnia. It helps a lot with constipation's and it reach in protein.You can also feed him boiled shrimp (piece- the size of the pellet). Just watch him if it happened again then you can use epsom salt. It good that you have it now in case you need it. Did you overfeed him that day? I missed the point if he was bloated and how long he didn't pooped.

Do you cycle his 10 gallons tank?
Yeah it happened again today. It didn't last long. Maybe two hrs. I guess this means he's prone to constipation? I'm not sure what to do now. I mean I think I'm gonna wait a few days and feed him one pellet twice a day? I really don't know what to do. This all started when I went from cheaper pellets tetra betta plus, to the better ones Omega one betta buffet. Due to the better ingredients. Is it possible he can't handle them? Or is this an adjustment period? I'm kinda stuck. I want to come up with a feeding schedule that works for him and doesn't make him suffer with this constipation. I will try to find the daphnia at pet smart if u think it'll help. But I wonder if the omega one pellets are doing this? Anyone have this issue before?