Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #1 
AbbeyH28

Betta Male Emergency!

Hi,
I have a Betta that has swim bladder disease, and from what I have researched it says it will cure on its own, and the fish is not suffering. Well, to me it seems to me getting worse, and he hasn't eaten anything in almost 2 weeks! I've tried giving him peas, but he has no interest. I keep his tank very clean, adding an antibiotic with every water change. Today when I came home, he was completely on his side, I thought he was dead :( but he wasn't thankfully! He started swimming around, but of course floated right back to the top.
Help!!
AbbeyH28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #2 
Wendyjo

What antibiotic are you using? And do you mean you have always added it to the tank when you change the water, or just recently since he became unwell?

Also, what size tank is it and what is your water change schedule? How often and how much?

Do you know if the fish is pooping or not?
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #3 
AbbeyH28

I am using Bettafix. I change his water every 2 days, add a bit of Aquarium salt, and the water purifier/condtioner. I have only been putting the Bettafix in since he became ill. He lives in a 1/2 gallon tank. I do not see any poop in his water, and I try to feed him 1 pellet a day to see if he will even take it, but it just sinks to the bottom. Before all this started, I would feed him 4 pellets in the morning and 4 pellets at night. Thank you!!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #4 
AbbeyH28

I am using Bettafix. I change his water every 2 days, add a bit of Aquarium salt, and the water purifier/condtioner. I have only been putting the Bettafix in since he became ill. He lives in a 1/2 gallon tank. I do not see any poop in his water, and I try to feed him 1 pellet a day to see if he will even take it, but it just sinks to the bottom. Before all this started, I would feed him 4 pellets in the morning and 4 pellets at night. Thank you for your help!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #5 
Syriiven

A bit of epsom salt to help as well as fasting. You may also want to move him to another tank or container with less water so in case he sinks, he can reach the surface easilly. There is a diseases and treatments sticky in this forum that has swim bladder/bloating listed and can tell you the exact amount of epsom salt. And I also read there that you really shouldn't use peas.

Edit:: ehre's the link http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73333
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:16 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

Many people have reported that bettafix destroys the organ they use to breath with yet most petshops will recommend it for bettas. I would stop the bettafix treatment.

Most bettas won't even look at a pea - its more for goldfish. I think.
Go with epsom salt at 1 teaspoon per gallon.

However, most fish I have had with SBD act normal - minus swimming issues. SInce you said he has not eatten for 2 weeks - that leads me to think maybe it's not swim bladder disease but something else like an internal infection or parasites maybe.

do you have a picture?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #7 
AbbeyH28

Name:  photo (5).jpg
Views: 87
Size:  48.9 KB

Name:  photo (6).jpg
Views: 87
Size:  53.2 KB

Name:  photo (7).jpg
Views: 86
Size:  39.6 KB
Old 11-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #8 
AbbeyH28

I changed his water, and added just a 1/2 tsp of Epsom salt and the water conditioner. I also only filled his tank about half way. Hope this works! And thank you to everyone who has helped me out!!
Old 11-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #9 
Syriiven

Hope he gets better soon, I can already see he has wonderful coloring =)
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #10 
AbbeyH28

thank you :)

Tags
swim bladder disease