Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2012, 04:23 AM   #1 
Phaydra

Question about running series of 5gs to a sump.

I know this is often done in Betta barracks. I want to do it with 3 5gs though. Also they will be a few feet apart at different levels. The overflows would all have to be custom made for smaller tanks of course. 3 small pumps for each tank so the flow rate could easily be adjusted. Has anyone tried this with a smaller number of tanks before? Is it cost feasible? Other then ease of disease transfer in a system like this what are the other pros and cons?
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:41 AM   #2 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaydra View Post
I know this is often done in Betta barracks. I want to do it with 3 5gs though. Also they will be a few feet apart at different levels. The overflows would all have to be custom made for smaller tanks of course. 3 small pumps for each tank so the flow rate could easily be adjusted. Has anyone tried this with a smaller number of tanks before? Is it cost feasible? Other then ease of disease transfer in a system like this what are the other pros and cons?
pros could be saving intial money cost, and control like you said being able to adjust all at once.

Cons would the like you mentioned above diseases, which could be a very bad con... Most diseases are contagious and in the long run it could be harmful for you, your bettas and your pocket (medicine)
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #3 
Phaydra

Yeah I think if I were to do this I would keep a QT/observation tank separate from the system for new Bettas. A small UV sterilizer in the sump could help with any disease outbreaks plus help with algae. I've never used a UV sterilizer so I am not sure how they affect tank cycling. Most of them are self contained so would they affect BB if placed after the Bio Filter area?

The benefits I am looking at is a large volume of water over all will help keep the 3 smaller tanks cleaner. Plus a sump can offer more surface area for BB in the form of Bio Balls or Bio sponges. I could see an issue with running the lines between the tanks and back to the sump but considering the smaller volume needed for correct GPH rate smaller flexible hosing could be used.

I would use a internal overflow and drill the back of the tanks because we do have power outages on occasion here. I would hate to flood the tanks if a siphon broke. Thin acrylic isn't that hard to drill though.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #4 
Phaydra

I just had a thought on the overflows. The way my 2 of my tanks are designed it would easy to make attached external overflows on the back wall of the tank and notch the tank wall for a baffle. Plus taking heaters out of all the tanks and just adding one to the sump. That would leave more room in the tank itself.