Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #1 
elijah007

Exclamation Emergency! Two of my betta jumped out of their tanks!

Please, anyone, what should I do? Two of my bettas jumped out of their tanks! One male halfmoon and one female pink salamander plakat. I am sooo distressed. I found them on dry ground, I'm not sure how long have they been there, when I saw them the female was already dry but when I tried to pick her up, she twitched! So I hurriedly place her on the water, she somewhat responded, she's a little bit okay now, but still looked traumatized.

However, I found the male halfmoon completely dried up, he looks dead, ants were all over him but then when I picked him up he sort of breathe. I quickly placed him in a water, his fins were dry, but I think the water hydrated it already. he seemed lifeless in a few minutes, but now he is sort of floating already I can see him breathe in air. He doesn't look okay. I notice his eyes are already blunt.

HE IS NOT MOVING, BUT HE'S BREATHING! This is really hard for me!

What could I do to him (I will not commit euthanasia)? Will his eyes go back to normal? Should I give him some rehydrants (if there are any) Will he still survive?

PLEASE HELP ME, I love my two bettas. :(
elijah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #2 
Syriiven

I warn you, I'm new here. I think the best you can do is make sure their water is a really clean, and maybe add StressCoat to their water conditioner, and keep a close eye on water conditions. Whether they live or not is really depending on how dry their gills were. If the male was attacked by ants though, it may not be good. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but I hope they'll be okay. Please keep us posted.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:09 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

Basically the only thing to do is keep them in a dark place so they can de-stress and play the waiting game. SInce they breathe air they can be out of water for some time, however if they totally dry up...not good.

Is the male alive? If so, you may want to put him into something with less water so he can easily get to the surface for air but COVER IT with saran warp. Be sure to poke some holes in it so the air can get in there.
stress coat and maybe some aquarium salt. Not sure the AQ salt will do anything for him though. SOmething has electrolytes in it but I dont remember if its AQ salt, stress coat for Krodons fish protector. Maybe all of them do..not sure
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #4 
elijah007

Thank you for replying I wasn't able to respond by the way due to some circumstances... however, Canus, my halfmoon betta died after that jump. But the other "female" betta im talking about is very much alive and healthy plus it turned out that it's a male. I just discovered it just now.

Thank you very much for all your tips.
- Elijah
Old 01-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #5 
Syriiven

I'm sorry for your loss, but at least you didn't lose them both =)
Old 01-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #6 
elijah007

It was hard at first cos I only had him for like a week. Plus he's pretty.. But I got another one named Remus. He's another plakat. Thanks a lot.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #7 
Syriiven

Its always tough =) But now he's under the rainbow bridge. What's Remus like?

Tags
betta fish emergency, betta fish jumps